Record-Setting Snow Buries Northeast

Home » Earth changes » Record-Setting Snow Buries Northeast

Record-Setting Snow Buries Northeast

... Quote:
NEW YORK - A record-breaking storm buried sections of the Northeast under more than 2 feet of snow on Sunday, marooning thousands of air travelers and making even a walk to the corner store treacherous.

The National Weather Service said 26.9 inches of snow had fallen in Central Park, the most since record-keeping started in 1869. The old record was 26.4 inches in December 1947.

Wind gusting as high as 60 mph blew the snow sideways and raised a risk of coastal flooding in New England. And in a rare display, lightning lit up the falling snow before dawn in the New York and Philadelphia areas, producing muffled winter thunder.

"We might not see anything like this again in our lifetime," Jason Rosenfarb said as he walked with his 5-year-old daughter Haley in Central Park. Just then Haley jumped head first into the snow and said: "Help me out. There's too much snow."

Continue Here

These are the kind of storms that pass through the great lakes area in the winter months. Usually it is mostly lake effect snow.
By YCON: posted on 13-2-2006

Northeast Digs Out From Record Snowstorm

... Quote:
NEW YORK - Road crews scrambled to clear highways for Monday's commuters and thousands of travelers stranded at airports still waited to get home as the Northeast dug out from a record-breaking storm that dumped 2 feet or more of snow.

Hundreds of schools canceled Monday classes from West Virginia to Massachusetts. Utility crews worked to restore power to thousands of homes and businesses blacked out when wind gusting to 50 mph knocked down power lines.

"I never want to see snow again," stalled traveler Laura Guerra, 27, of Miami, said after spending the night on a cot at LaGuardia Airport. She said she hadn't seen snow since she was 4, "But I got it out of my system."

Continue Here

Big storm shut down airports and schools. Power lines down and no electric. What a mess.

snowstormny1.jpg - 34.23kb
By YCON: posted on 14-2-2006

Record-Setting Snow Buries Northeast | [Login ]