Tropical Cyclone Lashes Australia

Home » Earth changes » Tropical Cyclone Lashes Australia

Tropical Cyclone Lashes Australia

... Quote:
SYDNEY, Australia - A powerful tropical cyclone ripped the roofs off buildings and uprooted trees, tearing across Australia's northeastern coast with powerful winds that kept emergency workers from responding to pleas from terrified residents.

With winds up to 180 mph, Tropical Cyclone Larry smashed into the coastal community of Innisfail, about 60 miles south of Cairns, a popular jumping-off point for the Great Barrier Reef, sending hundreds of tourists and residents fleeing for higher ground.

Wow that is a big cyclone, category five. I will have to update this one when more info comes out.

A Queensland state police spokeswoman at Innisfail said three people had so far been reported injured, including a woman struck by flying glass.

The spokeswoman, who spoke on a condition of anonymity citing agency policy, said residents had been calling the department all morning as gale force winds destroyed houses around them.

Police had not yet been able to venture out and help because the winds were still too strong, she said.

"They just have to stay put. There's nothing we can do for them," she said. "We just told them to wrap themselves in mattresses, blankets whatever they can find and just stay put."

Continue Here

australiastorm.jpg - 26.05kb
By YCON: posted on 20-3-2006

Massive cyclone hits Australia (CNN)

... Quote:
Tropical Cyclone Larry slammed into the northeastern coast of Australia with gusts up to 185 mph (300 kph), authorities in the Australian state of Queensland report. Sounds of metal and lumber being torn from structures could be heard above the winds as the cyclone passed over the beach resort of Innisfail, journalist Phil Willmington told CNN.

The eye of the category five storm passed over the beach resort of Innisfail, in the Australian state of Queensland, about 7:30 a.m. (8:30 p.m. Sunday GMT), and was soon downgraded to a still-powerful category four, according to Australia's Bureau of Meteorology.

Top sustained winds at landfall were at 190 km/h (120 mph), but gusts up to 300 km/h were reported, Craig Burke, a forecaster at the airport in Cairns, about 90 kilometers (55 miles) north of Innisfail.
Continue Here

300 km/h winds, strong enough to blow trees down and rip off roofs.

cyclonedamage.jpg - 19.95kb

On the raidio they sad a 2nd one was on the way. Now its the biggest cyclone ever, and after whats hit America recently, this seems to be well out of the range of "normal" weather.
By netchicken: posted on 20-3-2006

Yep, there will be many more storms from now on. You won't see too much "normal" weather for a while. Sun is going into a major cycle, hurricane season will be about as bad as it was last year, if not worse. Parts of Texas is 5 foot under water. Hawaii had 103" of rain in the last 3 weeks and over a week more of heavy rains to come.

Wow, we need a google map and link onto it all the articles about bad weather, we might get some interesting patterns occuring...
By netchicken: posted on 20-3-2006

its occurring everywhere, but that might be a good idea

Cyclone Spooks Creatures in Australia

... Quote:
INNISFAIL, Australia - Since Cyclone Larry hit early Monday, Joey the wallaby hasn't been seen. And the whereabouts of nearly 50 other kangaroos and related species at Margaret Tabone's crocodile farm are unknown.

"We can't find them yet — hopefully they're going to be somewhere and hopefully they're going to be alive," Tabone said Thursday.

Tabone, 64, reared the small kangaroo-like creature on her farm since Joey was just a hairless baby, after the wallaby's mother died.

Even the crocodiles on Tabone's farm were so spooked by the strong winds that battered this town they've refused to eat since the cyclone. That could mean more losses in the days ahead for the farm, which sells the crocodiles for their skins and meat.

"They're petrified like you and I would be due to the volume of the wind that we had, I can understand that because I was petrified myself," Tabone said. "Whether I lose them or not I don't know yet, we won't know for another week whether they'll get stressed out and they just die on you."

Continue Here

Animals do get scared and I expect they would run until the fear was gone.

cyclonejoey.jpg - 19.67kb
By YCON: posted on 25-3-2006

Tropical Cyclone Lashes Australia | [Login ]