What Makes a Lefty: Myths and Mysteries Persist

Home » Current events and news » What Makes a Lefty: Myths and Mysteries Persist

What Makes a Lefty: Myths and Mysteries Persist

... Quote:
Can openers, scissors and spiral-bound notebooks discriminate against lefties. Despite such challenges, 10 to 12 percent of the human population has historically preferred the left hand.

Why doesn't the number ever waiver? Nobody knows for sure, but new research supports a body of evidence that suggests genetics have a hand in it all.

In the meantime, the myth remains that lefties are more artistic. And the idea that left-handed fighters have an advantage persists on scant evidence, supported by Scottish lore and Rocky Balboa's heroics in the ring.

Look, Mom: Both hands!

Like many traits, handedness is probably determined by a complex interaction between genes and the environment, experts figure.

Left-handers are more likely to have a left-handed relative. But researchers have yet to find the gene or set of genes that pick one hand over the other.

Most scientists agree that handedness exists on a continuum. The idea helps explain why some people bowl with their left but hold a spoon in their right. Truly ambidextrous people, who have indifferent preference for either hand, are extremely rare.

Continue Here

This is interesting. I'm a lefty, artistic, creative, not much of a speaker. I'm sure it's not a gene that causes people to use their left hand. I think it's a combination of things.
By YCON: posted on 23-3-2006

Is this a pun?
"genetics have a hand in it all"

I gather that just because you are left handed doesn't mean you are dominant right brain, the articstic side. I am left handed yet hold my knife and fork like a right handed person, and the same with golf clubs and bats.

(mind you holding bats can be difficult because of all the flapping).

So as the article suggests there may be a continuim of left handness with not everyone being equal.
By netchicken: posted on 23-3-2006

Flapping bats, LOL funny NC

I use my right hand for most things,just left hand when I write or draw. When I first started doing artwork on the computer, my right hand was use to the mouse. I was able to do artwork with my right hand. I eventually switched my mouse to the left side.
By YCON: posted on 23-3-2006

What Makes a Lefty: Myths and Mysteries Persist | [Login ]