Expert Says Hard Liquor Helps Houseplants

Home » Bizarre world » Expert Says Hard Liquor Helps Houseplants

Expert Says Hard Liquor Helps Houseplants

... Quote:
ITHACA, N.Y. - For home gardeners who don't want their flowers to tip over, a Cornell University horticulturist thinks he has the answer: Get the flowers a little tipsy with some hard liquor.

Giving some plants diluted alcohol — whiskey, vodka, gin or tequila — stunts the growth of a plant's leaves and stems but doesn't affect the blossoms, said William Miller, director of Cornell's Flower Bulb Research Program.

Miller reported his findings in the April issue of HortTechnology, a peer-reviewed journal of horticulture.

"I've heard of using alcohol for lots of things ... but never for dwarfing plants," said Charlie Nardozzi, a senior horticulturist with the National Gardening Association, a Vermont-based organization that promotes plant-based education.

Continue Here

I started some tomato plants this year, I wonder how they'd do with a little alcohol. Shorten the vine and make bigger tomatos?
By YCON: posted on 6-4-2006

i know of someone who drank beer quite a lot and sometimes they'd tip what they didn't finish drinking into a potplant. Amazing the plant didn't react negatively... in fact it actually helped it grow. Maybe the yeast, or maybe it was an alcoholic plant hehe... :guy:guy:guy
By Razalin: posted on 7-4-2006

4 tomato plants, you actually want to prevent leaf growth-really!

The plant (more so when feed and watered) wants much more to grow vines and leaves insted of tomatos.

The key is to let it grow some, then start pinching off all new leaf buds. This will cause the plant to grow a few vines long with lots of fruit on it-really, I have done it. Bumper crop!!!
By mrmonsoon: posted on 9-4-2006

They say beer doesn't work.

I figured you'd want bigger flowers and less vine. I will try a few with alcohol and snip a few and make them bushy
By YCON: posted on 9-4-2006

Expert Says Hard Liquor Helps Houseplants | [Login ]