Most web users are \'silent surfers\'

Home » Current events and news » Most web users are 'silent surfers'

Most web users are 'silent surfers'

... Quote:
The majority of web users don't participate online, preferring just to passively read information presented to them, according to new research.

Although 92 per cent of European websites surveyed prompt visitors to participate, the majority (53 per cent) of European internet users are passive, silent surfers.

Just 23 per cent of web users in the UK, France, Germany, Sweden, Spain and Italy respond to prompted participation, such as polls and competitions, and a further 24 per cent are unprompted contributors that maintain blogs, websites or post in forums.

Continue Here

I say people become more involved after years of exploring the web.
By YCON: posted on 20-4-2006

From board experience we know that intro threads often reveal that new folks will "lurk" for months. Eventually, some topic will come along cause them to HAVE to speak their mind. Once they break the first barrier, they belong to us!
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 20-4-2006

LOL yep that seems to be true. Thats how I started
By YCON: posted on 20-4-2006

Silent lurking is something that amazes me - I mean why the shyness?

Internet forums are a great way to both learn and pass on your own experiences and points of view.

I know I would never have amassed my collection of classic cars without the internet - its was so easy to find the cars and information about them - not to mention get parts. Long may it last. :dbguy
By Alfaguy: posted on 22-4-2006

I think that many people have to learn how to contribute to the net. Afterall how many people talk to their TV or write to their newspapers?

Also, like myself, I imagine there is a huge number of people who are happy just to read on some sites and not contribute. I only contribute on a few stes and read others.
By netchicken: posted on 18-4-2007

Oh gosh, I remember when I first started doing th eboard thing. Had it not been for a couple three people and their patience (Netchicken, Kano, WOS) I would have been chased off the net!
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 19-4-2007

Yes I also remember the first time I posted way back o so long ago, I think back to
The beginning of this year. For me I never posted before that for I didnít and still
Donít have much to contribute other than pointless comments but seeing how
Sucu members were not that smart I thought why not......only kidding really!!!!

Actually after realizing how sad it was to be in reading stupid moronic posts that
For some unknown reason I used to like at ats. Then by luck I found sucu and it seem
So much different to ats and small a cosy I just thought what the hell, o and recognizing
Intelligently Smart witted Netty and Tc from ats for me sealed the deal, okay the last part
Is just arse Kissing and not really true. But I think the hardest time is posting for the first
Time after that itís all downhill from there. Or it is for my intelligence and sanity. :j

And for some reason I felt very shy and scared for the first time and I suppose itís because
Iím like that for real if I just met someone in person but I donít understand why the net makes
Me feel the same way but it does.
By Shan: posted on 28-4-2007

How cute.....stories from our first time :)

I came screaming onto ATS because I caught another woman messin with my man. :sh

Little did I know at the time that it was an innocent thing. Far be it from me to overreact. :sp

Glad things worked out the way they did though.

She doesn't post much but I still find her lurking around my board.

I agree that once you dip your toe in.....the water isn't so bad.
By Venus: posted on 28-4-2007

Most web users are \'silent surfers\' | [Login ]