Libya off the terrorist list, al-Qaddafi puts away the dresses

Home » Middle East conflict » Libya off the terrorist list, al-Qaddafi puts away the dresses

Libya off the terrorist list, al-Qaddafi puts away the dresses

It only seems like a few short years ago when I go the call to come to the military police station. As I was an MP, it wasn't necessarily a bad thing, but a ceratin annoyance when a fishing trip was planned. No fishing would be done that day as Ft. Rucker, as well as every other army installation, was going to an heightened state of alert. Seems President Reagan learned that Lybia's Col. Muammar al-Qaddafi was responsible for the bombing of a West Berlin disco, 05 April, 1986.
President Reagan was a leader of the caliber the U.S. hasn't seen again - and probably won't see again. He hated violence and war, but knew that only strength would keep the rogues and renegades away. This being the case, once he found out who was to blame for the disco attack that left two U.S. servicemen dead, he sent the United States Air Force to display his severe angst over his boys being killed. This attack missed Qaddafi, but it sent him running into the desert in women's clothing, attempting to escape and evade a ground attack he was certain had to be next on the night's agenda.

The level of alert was finally lowered and I was able to make that fishing trip, al-KaDaffy was able to put away his lipstick and rouge, but his country remained on the terrorist list that it had been on for four years previous. This is about to change, though, as it has been reported that the U.S. is about to remove Libya from the terrorist list, normalize relations and even open up an embassy in Tripolli. they say this is occuring because Libya dismantled its WMD program and has been very helpful in combating international terrorism.

Look, I don't want to sound like a pessimistic old codger, but I have to ask, what changed in Qaddafi? Did he get saved; did Billy Graham pay a life-changing visit to the Colonel?
Did he take a tumble and hit his head, causing some sort of limited amnesia so that he doesn't recall he is a very bad man who wants to kill Americans and propagate Islam and terrorism and all that? Maybe the CIA got to him, either giving him some sort of Nice Drug, or maybe replacing him with a doppleganger?

Maybe I am wrong, maybe he has softened and changed as the past 20 years drove by, maybe not everyone stays insane like Castro, but I still have to wonder; what's the story behind the story?

A link, by the way:
 http://www.foxnews.com/stor...
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 16-5-2006

Libya off the terrorist list, al-Qaddafi puts away the dresses | [Login ]