Manipulation of the media in Lebanon

Home » Middle East conflict » Manipulation of the media in Lebanon

Manipulation of the media in Lebanon

Reuters has withdrawn pictures of Beirut that have been doctored to make the situation look worse than it was.

This comes just after a CNN reporter admits being fed propaganda by Hezbollah. Seems the propaganda war is just as intense as the fighting one.

The fraud was discovered by blogs http://www.littlegreenfootb... which just goes to show the power of the people when it comes to news.

Ynet news (more on site)
Reuters withdraws photograph of Beirut after Air Force attack after US blogs, photographers point out 'blatant evidence of manipulation.' Reuters' head of PR says in response, 'Reuters has suspended photographer until investigations are completed into changes made to photograph.' Photographer who sent altered image is same Reuters photographer behind many of images from Qana, which have also been subject of suspicions for being staged
Yaakov Lappin

A Reuters photograph of smoke rising from buildings in Beirut has been withdrawn after coming under attack by American web logs. The blogs accused Reuters of distorting the photograph to include more smoke and damage.

The photograph showed two very heavy plumes of black smoke billowing from buildings in Beirut after an Air Force attack on the Lebanese capital. Reuters has since withdrawn the photograph from its website, along a message admitting that the image was distorted, and an apology to editors.

Earlier, Charles Johnson, of the Little Green Footballs blog , which has exposed a previous attempt at fraud by a major American news corporation, wrote :
... Quote:
This Reuters photograph shows blatant evidence of manipulation. Notice the repeating patterns in the smoke; this is almost certainly caused by using the Photoshop “clone” tool to add more smoke to the image.

(Actually you have to admit its a pretty appalling bit of photoshopping. That looks so fake!)

The fake picture is still on abc.net.au

fake-picture.jpg - 33.3kb
By netchicken: posted on 7-8-2006

Here is a link to other photographs from the Reuters photographer.

We could play "hunt the fake" :)

photos

Man, I love the way they sacrifice the lowest man on the totem pole.

There is no doubt that al-Reuters is not neutral in the conflict, the fact that they blame the photoshopping on only the photographer is hideous.
Of course, he is probably being suspended for being blatant rather than subtle.
Where was the editor when this was being done? Shouldn't he be fored for not making sure the propaganda spin was covert enough to not get caught?

Silly rabbits!
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 7-8-2006

The question now is, how many more images have been professionaly photoshoped and gone unnoticed?
By Arctic-Monkey: posted on 7-8-2006

Yup, you got it.

There is another angle to this as well, not just photoshopping, but the manipulation of media and pictures to push one viewpoint.

Look at this pic from the same photographer, the baby is almost held up as a trophy, its not given respect, but the person holding it looks like he is almost smiling.

baby.jpg - 74.09kb

A really good article here! Much more on the site

http://counterterrorismblog...

... Quote:
We are in a battle, and that more than half of this battle is taking place in the battlefield of the media. And that we are in a media battle in a race for the hearts and minds of our Ummah.
- Ayman al-Zawahiri, in a letter to Abu Musab al-Zarqawi

Reuters' faked photograph of Beirut burning, by Adnan Hajj. Click to view full size at Little Green Footballs.

Ayman al-Zawahiri's words do not only apply to his al-Qaeda and affiliated groups, but to all terrorist organizations.

Terrorists do not employ terror tactics because of their military strength, but because of their military weaknesses; they have no hope of defeating modern militaries on the conventional battlefield. They seek to strike at the strategic weakness of democratic states: public opinion.

They seek to erode the public's will to fight terror groups. Terrorist organizations skillfully manipulate the media to propagate their message. And in some instances, the terrorists have willing accomplices within the media. The current war between Israel and Hezbollah provides examples of both media manipulation and accommodation.

Hah!!

Check out this
 http://news.yahoo.com/news?...

Reuters take down the old photo, tidy it up and reissue it as the correct one :)

r1119244085.jpg - 59.33kb

The cartoons are flowing :)

FirstCasualty-X.gif - 59.68kb

Well well ....

ANOTHER faked Lebanon picture!

This site http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/arch...

Discuss this picture
http://stuffucanuse.com/Israel-warship-sunk/israel-jet.jpg
Described by Reuters as...
An Israeli F-16 warplane fires missiles during an air strike on Nabatiyeh in southern Lebanon, August 2, 2006. (LEBANON)

02 Aug 2006 REUTERS/Adnan Hajj

However the site above says the F-16 in the photo is not firing missiles, but is rather dropping chaffe or flares designed to be a decoy for surface to air missiles.

A close up of what Hajj calls "missiles" reveals that only one flare has been dropped. The other two "missiles" are simply copies of the original.

So, the original photo of the Israeli F-16 was probably of a single anti-SAM chaffe flare being dropped. The flares are duplicated and pasted 2 times to give 3 "rockets"

In other words, the F-16 which Reuters proports to show firing missiles at Lebanon, was taking defensive measures.

More articles on faked pictures

http://www.riehlworldview.c...

According to this site the pictures of the attacked ambulances are faked as well.

Wailing woman has multiple hit homes? Or yet again another staged photo?
 http://drinkingfromhome.blo...

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4399/1929/320/beirutwoman3.0.jpg

Same clothes, same scar on her left cheek, same mark under her right eye. Two pictures of the same woman at different homes, maybe even taken on the same day.

Here is an excellent artical on the Qana, the supposed attrocity that the Israelis comitted when they bombed a house.

http://eureferendum.blogspo...

The narrative here is of how the combination of Hezbollah's media management and modern photo-journalism has turned the recording of a tragic event into theatre, in the best tradition of Michael Moore.

As best we can, we have pieced together the jumble of evidence which surrounded the production of the iconic photographs which were published around the world, and put them in perspective.

Many of the photographs have been used before, some are new to this site and others are video "grabs". But it is not the pictures, per se, that tell the story, so much as their ordering and analysis. Make of this what you will, but I can assure you that you are not supposed to see them in this light.

... Quote:
Originally posted by netchicken
Well well ....

ANOTHER faked Lebanon picture!

http://stuffucanuse.com/Israel-warship-sunk/israel-jet.jpg
Described by Reuters as...
An Israeli F-16 warplane fires missiles during an air strike on Nabatiyeh in southern Lebanon, August 2, 2006. (LEBANON)

now, Reuters has recalled all photos by Adnan Hajj

... Quote:

Reuters admits to more image manipulation

News organization withdraws photograph of Israeli fighter jet, admits image was doctored, fires photographer. Reuters pledges 'tighter editing procedure for images of the Middle East conflict'

Let's see how long MSM still will show his pictures.
By Riwka: posted on 8-8-2006

And the finds roll in...

This site shows two photographs taken weeks apart show the same bombed area—and each photo’s caption claims that the bombing just occurred.

http://powerlineblog.com/ar...
By netchicken: posted on 8-8-2006

The suprisingly shrinking fatality tolls.

Hot on the heels of the incredable shrinking death toll at Qana come this disappearing massacre...

http://edition.cnn.com/2006...
... Quote:
Lebanese Prime Minister Fouad Siniora said Monday that one person was killed in an Israeli airstrike on the southern village of Houla, not 40 as he had earlier reported.

"The massacre in Houla, it turned out that there was one person killed," Siniora said. "They thought that the whole building smashed on the heads of about 40 people ... thank God they have been saved."

Siniora had earlier told Arab foreign ministers in Beirut that the attack "was a horrific massacre ... in which more than 40 martyrs were victims of deliberate bombing."

Siniora said he had based the initial tally on unspecified information that he had received. He offered no other explanation for the error.
By netchicken: posted on 8-8-2006

Mike, I pray there will never come a day when you or anyone else can NOT get mad when looking at these pictures.

There is one group that gets a free pass when it comes to culpability and that is the children. These beautiful little peeps should be playing without a care in the world. They are without blame and without guilt. No matter what their idiotic parents thought or did, I believe these little ones are in the arms of the Lord right now, and for that I am grateful.

Mike, you come from the heartland of America; you would rather die than let harm come to your family and would never place them in harm's way. There's no way you or I will ever understand such monstrosity, but that seems to be the way of political jockying for the Arab propaganda machine.

I can't throw too many rocks at those "people" as I fear for my own soul because I cannot understand why Israel goes to such insane lengths to protect the "civilians" of the enemy. I would not be nearly as cautious as the Israeli military has been. Does that mean I have a lesser level of Hell awaiting me? These are the things that cause me to ponder my own humanity.

his war is much like a mathematical word problem; one must wade through all the distracting BS and focus on the bare facts and disregard the propaganda distractions.
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 8-8-2006

I think that Olmert has made it very clear; Israel knows that innocent civilians have paid a heavy price but they also know the scope of the task before them and relenting now would only encourage those who have endangered the Lebonese civilians in the first place.

I'm not sure if crippling Hizbullah will really bring peace if the head is still allowed to operate. I have a feeling that a multi pronged strategy would be needed where Iran is engaged by America while Israel engages the Hizbullah and Syria.

I've read that the Hizbullah is proving to be suprisingly better prepared than previously anticipated. Apparently, they have tunnels, intercept IDF communications, have wire guided missiles, sophisticated laser range finders and conduct operations in the night. Supposedly they have destroied a few Merkava's!!
Now if this is true, that is seriously troubling for it presents the next generation that Israel will have to deal with.
By IAF: posted on 9-8-2006

Dust marks !!

With Reuters having fired Adnan Hajj (the photographer who photshopped!!) and scrutinizing all his previous work, the photographer denies that he deliberately doctored images to show greater devastation. Apparently, he was trying to remove "dust marks" from the pictures because of the conditions he had to work in. This is what they had to say:
... Quote:

Reuters has strict standards of accuracy that bar the manipulation of images in ways that mislead the viewer.

"The photographer has denied deliberately attempting to manipulate the image, saying that he was trying to remove dust marks and that he made mistakes due to the bad lighting conditions he was working under," said Moira Whittle, the head of public relations for Reuters.

"This represents a serious breach of Reuters' standards and we shall not be accepting or using pictures taken by him," Whittle said in a statement issued in London.

Now I find this to be nothing more than a desperate and pathetic lie after having got caught! Reuters obviously has been revealed to be the sham that it is and what little credibility they had has gone out the window!
By IAF: posted on 9-8-2006

Michelle Malkin chronicles the blogosphere's unmasking of a dishonest war photographer shooting for Reuters in Lebanon

video
By Riwka: posted on 9-8-2006

The Dead Collector: Bring out yer dead.
[a man puts a body on the cart]
Large Man with Dead Body: Here's one.
The Dead Collector: That'll be ninepence.
The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I'm not dead.
The Dead Collector: What?
Large Man with Dead Body: Nothing. There's your ninepence.
The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I'm not dead.
The Dead Collector: 'Ere, he says he's not dead.
Large Man with Dead Body: Yes he is.
The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I'm not.
The Dead Collector: He isn't.
Large Man with Dead Body: Well, he will be soon, he's very ill.
The Dead Body That Claims It Isn't: I'm getting better....

- and again back to Qana (via LGF)

Plainly this scene was staged for the benefit of the cameras...

http://opinionjournal.com/best/080806lefteris1.jpg
AP - Sun Jul 30, 7:04 AM ET
Bodies of Lebanese residents of the southern village of Qana near the port city of Tyre, Lebanon, are laid covered after they were removed from under the rubble of a demolished building, background, that was struck by Israeli war plane missiles Sunday, July 30, 2006. At least 50 people, including scores of children, were killed Sunday in an Israeli air strike on this southern Lebanon village _ the deadliest attack in 19 days of fighting. (AP Photo/Lefteris Pitarakis)

The deathtoll later was reduced to 26.....

Note the "victim" denoted by the arrow here:

http://opinionjournal.com/best/080806lefteris2.jpg

Opinion Journal writes:

... Quote:

It's a little hard to see exactly what's going on at this size, but as luck would have it the Washington Post used the photo on its July 31 front page, and a sharp-eyed reader scanned it for us. Here's an enlargement of the portion in question:

http://opinionjournal.com/best/080806lefteris3.jpg

and EU Referendum also has a close look to this picture:

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4640/388/320/AP%20Qana.jpg
By Riwka: posted on 9-8-2006

Err is that person arising from the dead? unfortunately how can you be sure that ANY of the people under the sheet are dead?

Remember the video a few years back of a Palestinian funeral, the body was carried on a platform on the shoulders of the people when they slipped and the body fell off. It immediatly jumped up and ran off...

It was quite famous at the time....
By netchicken: posted on 9-8-2006

Check out this video from 60 minutes called "Pallywood" the manipulation of the media by Arab media. It talks about staged battle scenes in Palastinain areas and I imagine is entirely applicable right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watc...
By netchicken: posted on 9-8-2006

Another faked picture ...

http://littlegreenfootballs...

Look at the black guys head in the bottom right.

20060725TylerHicksNYT.jpg - 57.17kb
By netchicken: posted on 10-8-2006

But why? Definitly faked, look at the poor cut around his head. At the edge of his head you can see the head dress of a woman.

20060725TylerHicksNYT-z.jpg - 37.69kb
By netchicken: posted on 10-8-2006

This is truly odd!! Even for people to distort the picture it is absurd to add a black person when there are hardly any other in the room.
Whats the point of introducing a black person when there was a woman there already ? It doesn't convey anything!

The room is full of people from Arab descent and we have this lone black male in the middle of it ?? LGF points this to the New York Times :
 http://www.nytimes.com/slid...

Sloppy work too....
By IAF: posted on 10-8-2006

This seems to be never ending.... watch the video on the link below of the famous green hatted man taking the baby OUT of the ambulance. He also shot the same scenes 10 years earlier when Qana was attacked before.

... Quote:
Conclusive proof that the photographs from Qana were cynically staged, as “Green Helmet” directs cameramen in a video from German TV (with English subtitles).

They actually take the body of a child out of the ambulance, transfer it from the light stretcher used in the ambulance to the heavy duty gurney used in the rescue operation (to create the impression that it has just arrived from the bombed area), uncover it, and pose it for photographs.

LGF
By netchicken: posted on 11-8-2006

Yeah i just found this....

He drives around in a refrigerated morturary truck!

http://web.israelinsider.co...

Mark MacKinnon of The Globe and Mail reported from nearby Tyre, Lebanon on July 26, describing the many difficulties caused by the rising death toll in that city. "Abu Shadi, the mortician at the government hospital in the city, agrees. He's processed 100 bodies -- many of them grotesquely mangled and burned -- and on his pickup runs has been forced to leave behind many more that he can't recover from cars and destroyed buildings.

"It's much more [than the official count]," he says. "There are many trapped under the rubble. The death toll will reach 1,000."

"Mr. Shadi was standing in front of a refrigeration truck that was packed with 20 bodies, days after he helped bury 74 bodies in a mass grave. When he opened the door to show the black body bags haphazardly piled on top of each other, a staggering stench came out, despite the refrigeration. Next to the truck stood 40 empty wooden caskets, waiting for new arrivals."

Based on these descriptions, it seems highly likely that Abu Shadi the mortician and Abu Shadi the green-helmeted "civil defense worker" are one and the same. And, in the double role, Abu Shadi was among the first to arrive, before the media did, with his refrigerated truck that in recent days had been carrying around corpses.

"The refrigerated truck that bodies are stored in had just emptied the day before with a mass burial. It is already filling up again, with the bodies of children. "

We have pictures of Abu Shadi Jradi standing by the refrigerator truck, corpse in hand, and then, in different dress, posing with the same corpse in a different location.

Complicating the naming issue is a video which shows him at Qana, addressed in Arabic by a journalist by the named of "Abdel Qader" although -- as in the case of Mahmoud Abbas (Abu Mazen), Yasser Arafat (Abu Amar) and many others -- the "Abu" may be a nom de guerre.

The tantalizing question, which may never be answered, is this: was Abu Shadi's refrigerated truck empty when he arrived at Qana that morning?

One might also ask: why was a "mortician" was among the first to be called to a presumed rescue situation, the very same "mortician" who ten years ago was posing headless child corpses?

Mr. Shadi had claimed much numbers twice as high, repeated -- even to this day. "Green Helmet" says in the video that fifteen bodies have been pulled from the wreckage, and he estimates that there were 210 (!) total victims.

The Red Cross and Human Rights Watch now confirm that the quantity of deaths has been greatly exaggerated, nearly double what was claimed by Lebanese officials. There were not "dozens" of children killed, as early reports have claimed.

And there really is no way to know by how much the deaths have been "padded" with refrigerated and transplanted corpses from Tyre or other locations.

And there remains the horrific possibility, as reported in a Lebanese publication but not confirmed, that Hezbollah placed rocket launchers on the roof and brought disabled children and the aged to be sacrificial victims, precisely as they became, possibly after a detonation of explosively charges long after the Israeli attack.
By netchicken: posted on 13-8-2006

New information on the "Red cross ambulance hit by Israel" hoax. The attack that never happend.

Well worth reading....
 http://www.zombietime.com/f...

http://www.zombietime.com/fraud/ambulance/bostonbig.jpg

Pic of ambulance hit by Israel, note the hole in the roof.

http://www.zombietime.com/fraud/ambulance/holeclose.jpg

Closeup of hole in roof, note the edges of the hole

http://www.zombietime.com/fraud/ambulance/spears_iftar2.jpg

Look what had been in the hole, an airconditioning unit....
By netchicken: posted on 25-8-2006

Manipulation of the media in Lebanon | [Login ]