300 Billion sunk into Africa and nothing changes

Home » Current events and news » 300 Billion sunk into Africa and nothing changes

300 Billion sunk into Africa and nothing changes

Throwing money at Africa has been a popular and expensive exercise. Yet what has come of it? There are still starving people, still corrupt societies, brutal regimes and non working governments.

Some examples from here reveal the depth of Africas money pit. This is an excellent article and well worth reading, with some great examples.

http://www.culturecult.com/...

Three things are thought to explain much Third World decline and dereliction. In Africa misappropriated funds heads the list—the Big Man at the top plays Winner Takes All—and there’s no question this is fundamental. Others point to the lawlessness of life where nothing gets done because even the smallest investment is always at risk… so, nothing gets done.

A third explanation sees communal claims and the parasitism of extended family, clan, and tribe making individual progress impossible and nepotism inevitable. These reasons for the engulfing mess and hopelessness come variously combined in different places—as we find in the reports of Tim Harford, Paul Theroux, and V. S. Naipaul.
By netchicken: posted on 7-9-2006

I've been stating this since forever! Every time one of those "save africa" hippies try to releive me of my money by trying to make me feel guilty for living in the United states, I try to explain that money has solved nothing in africa. Do you people remember Live8 ?What the hell was that all about ?

throwing money at problems is the easiest thing to do and thats why its the liberal vagabound hippies that try to coerce people into giving them money by taking the moral high ground. They make me sick!

This attitude is especially true here in New York, they have some crazy - Save Dafur sheiss going on right now. Do you know how they plan to save Dafur? Congrugate in Central Park, yell abuses at the top of their lungs at politicians and listen to some techno music and pass on $5 bucks each!!
Forget Dafur, these people need to be saved!
By IAF: posted on 12-9-2006

I think there is a place for donations to Africa, in the "give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him forever" style.

But its obvious that blanket money pouring doesn't work. That change must come from people who want to change.
By netchicken: posted on 12-9-2006

300 Billion sunk into Africa and nothing changes | [Login ]