Sea shells on mars?

Home » Science & Technology » Sea shells on mars?

Sea shells on mars?

Sometimes we see what we want to see. This is interesting to hypothesise about, however a geologist is best qualified to say what we are really seeing.

More sea shells have been imaged by Spirit on Sol 913 at the wintering grounds where NASA has parked the rover. The angled hillside provides best sunlight for the solar panels and allows the rover to continue operating well into its second year. These new images show some excellent specimens that are without a doubt some of the clearest sea shells yet imaged on Mars.

http://xenotechresearch.com...
By netchicken: posted on 12-9-2006

Wow!
Is there reason not to believe that before Mars lost it's core heat, magnetic field and atmosphere that it had life on it?
This could become an enormous theological discussion, but we all know that ol' TC won't enter into such excercises of debate! ;)
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 19-9-2006

I think we have to be careful at looking for things that we want to see. Remember the "Face on mars" or the "Helicopter pictures in the Egyptian tombs" furore. Humanity interpretates new things with eyes that look for familier patterns, similar to thinking I suppose. Making mental shortcuts .. that rock looks like a seashell therefore it is one.

However I do concede that it would be nice to think that there was life on mars that was lost in the ancient past.

The difference is building reality from science or from Imagination. Remember the "Canals on Mars" that stimulated the 1900's?
By netchicken: posted on 19-9-2006

Sea shells on mars? | [Login ]