Russia to send troops to Lebanon, but not under UNIFIL

Home » Middle East conflict » Russia to send troops to Lebanon, but not under UNIFIL

Russia to send troops to Lebanon, but not under UNIFIL

... Quote:
(WASHINGTON, D.C., SEPTEMBER 23, 2006) -- Russian President Vladimir Putin says that he will soon send Russian military forces and equipment to Lebanon, but that he has no plans to put these forces under the command of the U.N. forces already on the border of Israel. They will remain under his command.

The equipment will be delivered to Lebanon by the Russian Air Force in late September. Some 300 Russian military advisors and engineers will then arrive in Lebanon in October, and Putin told a press conference that for now, "we don't intend to do this within the UNIFIL (U.N. Interim Force in Lebanon) framework, but rather within a bilateral framework."

That said, Kremlin sources say Russia's role in Lebanon could soon grow and could eventually include ground forces operating under the U.N. flag. "Russia has already provided $2 million worth of aid to Lebanon during the crisis, when it sent four aircraft with goods requested by the Lebanese government to Cyprus, where they were passed on to UN workers, who delivered them to Lebanon," reports the Russian Information Agency. "Russia is also considering participation in the international peacekeeping force in Lebanon, the foreign ministry earlier said." Currently, the U.N. is building a force of some 15,000 "peacekeepers" in southern Lebanon, led by Rome.

http://mail.charter.net/do/...

I didn't think I would be alive to see all these things happen. Sure, I knew it was hypothetically possible, but I REALLY didn't think it was going to unfold before my eyes. Not until this year came around, anyway.

I had a vacation trip around Florida planned for this past September but it got trashed. I wonder if it is ever going to get rescheduled, now!
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 2-10-2006

Russia and Syria were tight buddies. I wonder if its a backdoor way for Syria to get into Lebanon though Russias troops.

Hey book your holiday to the sunny summery Southery Hemisphere!
By netchicken: posted on 2-10-2006

Russia to send troops to Lebanon, but not under UNIFIL | [Login ]