The palestinian child and the toy gun debate

Home » Middle East conflict » The palestinian child and the toy gun debate

The palestinian child and the toy gun debate

Is that really a toy gun, or just an other example of the media making excuses? It certianly looks real to me and many other commentators

A Palestinian boy holds a toy gun during a Hamas rally at a soccer stadium in Gaza City Friday, Oct. 6, 2006.

The original pic is from Yahoo pictures

And a spirited debate on the topic is on Littlegreenfootballs

toy-gun.jpg - 65.88kb
By netchicken: posted on 8-10-2006

I tried to lighten the gun, so you can easily see it.

I don't see any problems with the picture being shown, but the misrepresentation of the child holding a "toy" gun is an example of the media again seeing only what it wants to see.

toy-gun1.jpg - 22.4kb

Nothing toyish-looking about that weapon, nothing tykish-looking about that tyke.
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 8-10-2006

If thats a toy that kid is a blow up!
By IAF: posted on 8-10-2006

Actually I was thinking that the photographer would know immediatly that its not a "toy" gun.

We just see this one pic, but he had to see the boy, compose the photo, and probably take a zillion shots in the hope one might be good. So the person who took the photo would know exactly the state of the gun, from the heaviness of it and the similarity of it with other people.

Its obviously dads gun (child sitting on dads head) and he is holding it.

Also in a society where there is little disposable income and much desperate poverty, who would purchase a realistic toy gun for their child?

Food, education, clothing, etc come higher up the basic needs pole. only westerners with large (in comparison) disposable incomes go for things like that in my opinion.

So calling it a "toy" is a deliberate distortion of the truth, and really a sanitising of reality.

The palestinian child and the toy gun debate | [Login ]