US battle group heads off to Iran region

Home » Middle East conflict » US battle group heads off to Iran region

US battle group heads off to Iran region

Chess pieces are being moved around world board it seems. More brinkmanship, or the beginning of a confrontation that will be worse than Iraq?

The nuclear-powered aircraft carrier Eisenhower and its accompanying strike force of cruiser, destroyer and attack submarine slipped their moorings and headed off for the Persian Gulf region on Oct. 2.

http://www.smirkingchimp.co...

The Eisenhower strike force, according to my sources, is scheduled to arrive in the vicinity of Iran around October 21, at the same time as a second flotilla of minesweepers and other ships.

This build-up of naval power around the coast of Iran, according to some military sources, is in preparation for an air attack on Iran that would target not just Iran's nuclear enrichment facilities, but its entire military command and control system.

While such an attack could be expected to unleash a wave of military violence all over Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and elsewhere against American forces and interests and against oil wells, pipelines and loading vacilities, as well as a mining of the Persian Gulf and the Strait of Hormuz, with a resulting skyrocketing of global oil prices, the real goal of this new war by the U.S. would be ensuring Republican control of the House and Senate.
By netchicken: posted on 11-10-2006

Let's remember what is causing this trouble. Let's remember who is chasing the atom, is tied to terrorist groups and who wants to remove Israel from the map and invisions a day when America no longer exists.

Saudi Arabia and Kuwait do not at all profit from a nuclear Iran anymore than we do.

If Iran is willing to supply Hezbollah with rockets capable of reaching Tel Aviv, and if they want the destruction of Israel, what would stop them from rearming Hezbollah with even better toys in order to fulfill a dream?

I don't like the thought of the repercussions, but I loathe the thought of sitting back and watching what we all KNOW will be the result of appeasement.
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 11-10-2006

Actually the Saudis and the rest of the Sunni world arent too happy that the Hizbullah were able to survive the IDF. They also have a problem that the Shias are making it out to be that they were able to defeat the west and the mullah in the "holy land" arent pleased!
The Shia are consolidating in Iraq and after the war in Lebanon they now have pretty much half the middle east along with most of the worlds oil reserves which were for a long time under Sunni control. The saudis are weary of this and knowing Iran's propensity to "engage" the West they are increasingly finding themselves sidelined as representatives of the Arab world and also the barons of OPEC. The al-qaida now actively attacks Shia targets all over Iraq and begining to creep into Gaza and Palestine as well to prevent the Shia movement from spreading any further especially with their recent sucesses.

Talking about the Carrier deployment I doubt it would be any military operation involving attacking Iran directly as that would be too risky simply because of the presence of US and coalition troops both in Iraq and Afganistan that are neck deep in it! I would imagine that it is some Naval exercise or a drill of some sort to flex muscle and to flex nuts!!

With the elections close, I dont think creating another 'situation' is going to bring the republicans any sympathy votes this time as the incumbency factor is just too high! If they really did push for some thing I doubt the US military could do much in same leauge as what we did to saddam in Iran without utilizing the nuclear alternative and that is something no president wants to do, no matter how desperate!
By IAF: posted on 11-10-2006

US battle group heads off to Iran region | [Login ]