Top 10 things the food companies don\'t tell you

Home » Science & Technology » Top 10 things the food companies don't tell you

Top 10 things the food companies don't tell you

This article is well worth reading, summaries are below

1. The ingredients listed on the label aren't the only things in the food.

2. Monosodium glutamate causes consumers to keep eating more food (so that explains why chinese food doesn't fill you up sometimes)

3. MSG is routinely hidden in foods in these ingredients: yeast extract, torula yeast, hydrolyzed vegetable protein and autolyzed yeast.

4. ADHD in children is caused almost entirely by the consumption of processed food ingredients such as artificial colors and refined carbohydrates.

5. The chemical sweetener aspartame, when exposed to warm temperatures for only a few hours, begins to break down into chemicals like formaldehyde and formic acid. (gaaak)

6. Most food dips (like guacamole dip) are made with hydrogenated oils, artificial colors and monosodium glutamate. Many guacamole dips don't even contain avocados. (so make your own, its really easy to do, and always tastes better)

7. Plastic food packaging is a potent health hazard. Scientists now know that plastics routinely seep the chemical bisphenol A into the food, where it is eaten by consumers.

8. Milk produced in the United States comes from cows injected with synthetic hormones that have been banned in every other advanced nation in the world. (This would be the scariest thing if I lived in America. Mommy mommy why am I getting breasts, don't worry son its the milk)

9. Most grocery products that make loud health claims on their packaging are, in reality, nutritionally worthless (supprised? not really .. )

10. Food manufacturers actually "buy" shelf space and position at grocery stores.

Read the article here http://www.newstarget.com/0... its good.
By netchicken: posted on 30-10-2006

ugh, aspartame is evil.

the milk thing is nasty, and part of the reason why I don't touch the stuff. It also just tastes nasty and "fleshy" to me, rubs me the wrong way. I'll use organics for cooking, but drinking a glass of milk is out of the question for me, even using it in cereal anymore.
By parrhesia: posted on 30-10-2006

try soy milk parr, it works
By YCON: posted on 30-10-2006

I do, it's what I use most of the time.
By parrhesia: posted on 30-10-2006

We have soy milk. I don't like it and call it "Vitapuke" instead of Vitasoy. The milk here is pure and great.
By netchicken: posted on 30-10-2006

I've drunk milk, the kind that come in plastic cans sold at the frozen food section ever since I can remember. I dont find any noticeable difference in my make up, be it mental or physical in comparision to others. Injected with special hormones or not.

An interesting take on soy:

... Quote:
http://www.totalityofbeing.com/ArchivedSoyPoison.html
What's bad about soy?:

Contains Isoflavones (Genistein and Daidzein). In soy the isoflavones are built in insecticides. If they kill bugs are they good for humans?

Isoflavones are estrogen like substances which have the same effect as the bodies estrogen. Cancer comes from having too much estrogen.

Kills testicular tissue. In men it permanently reduces testicular function and lowers Lutinizing Hormone production. LH is what signals your testicles to work. This increases the probability of estrogen dominance in men with its hair loss, swollen and cancerous prostates.

Male children fed soy formulas and soy products may not ever get to like girls. Dorris Rapp MD, the worlds leading pediatric allergist, asserts that environmental and food estrogens are responsible for the increase in male homosexuality and the worldwide reduction in male fertility.

The last claim seems to be a bit over the top but it is true that isoflavazones are natural substances that act like estrogen and overconsumption of Soy would give rise to some problems.

Here's an article from the Washington post that contradicts the seriousness of the soy scare while still stressing that excess soy is still bad for men.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&contentId=A63967-2004May3¬Found=true,Eat%20Your%20Soy
By IAF: posted on 30-10-2006

Ya, but in moderation, like everything else, it should be OK. Soy is/has been used as a remedy for menopausal women due to what you've just mentioned. Apparently incorporating soy into the diet can help with symptoms dramatically.
By parrhesia: posted on 31-10-2006

Top 10 things the food companies don\'t tell you | [Login ]