Human homing abilities

Home » Science & Technology » Human homing abilities

Human homing abilities

Turns out we all possess a small bit of Magnetite that allows us to orientate North. The next evolutionary step will be to have some that will tell where you parked the car

Some years ago scientists at CALTECH (California Institute of Technology in Pasadena) discovered that humans possess a tiny, shiny crystal of magnetite in the ethmoid bone, located between your eyes, just behind the nose.

Magnetite is a magnetic mineral also possessed by homing pigeons, migratory salmon, dolphins, honeybees, and bats.

Indeed, some bacteria even contain strands of magnetite that function, according to Dr Charles Walcott of the Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology in Ithaca, New York, "as tiny compass needles, allowing them [the bacteria] to orient themselves in the earth's magnetic field and swim down to their happy home in the mud".

It seems that magnetite helps direction finding in animals and helps migratory species migrate successfully by allowing them to draw upon the earth's magnetic fields. But scientists are not sure how they do this.

In any case, when it comes to humans, according to some experts, magnetite makes the ethmoid bone sensitive to the earth's magnetic field and helps your sense of direction.

Some, such as Dr Dennis J Walmsley and W Epps from the Department of Human Geography of the Australian National University in Canberra writing in Perceptual and Motor Skills as far back as in 1987, have even suggested that this "compass" was helpful in human evolution as it made migration and hunting easier.

More on the site
 http://www.theregister.co.u...
By netchicken: posted on 21-11-2006

Now if only they can prove conclusively that women dont have this shiny crystal of magnetite or not enought of it behind their noses then I could take this is as a fact and could probably explain why so many women I know are so bad at directions. ;)
By IAF: posted on 21-11-2006

Ahh but they do IAF, the problem is that they are orientated towards dress and shoe shops :)

Dont make me laugh. My sense of direction is superior to my husbands and most males for that matter.

It is he who always has to stop and ask people where they hell he is. I on the other hand, can get unlost much easier on my own.

:sh
By Twilight_Rogue: posted on 21-11-2006

I don't believe it TR :)

Males never stop and ask directions :) its anti-masculine

True, asking for directions is for girls! LOL :sp
By IAF: posted on 21-11-2006

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Thats why 90% of the people who pull over and stop to ask me for directions are MEN.................

My husband could not find his way out of a paper bag even if he had a compass.

Men only THINK they know where they hell they are at.

Hell, if men are so great at directions, than why is it half the time they cant find their way around under the sheets, hmmmmmmmmmm?

:P
By Twilight_Rogue: posted on 22-11-2006

LMAO!

... Quote:

Thats why 90% of the people who pull over and stop to ask me for directions are MEN................

Ever wonder if they had an ulterior motive ?? ;)
By IAF: posted on 22-11-2006

... Quote:
Originally posted by Twilight_Rogue
Hell, if men are so great at directions, than why is it half the time they cant find their way around under the sheets, hmmmmmmmmmm?
:P

snicker....snicker....giggle
By Venus: posted on 22-11-2006

... Quote:
Originally posted by IAF
LMAO!

Ever wonder if they had an ulterior motive ?? ;)

What, hitting on a freakish looking chick when there is a good looking blonde on the other side of the road bending over to water her shrubs, or a hot chick 100 yards down wearing daisy dukes?

I don't think so ;)
By Twilight_Rogue: posted on 22-11-2006

Human homing abilities | [Login ]