One of the lost tribes of Israel returns home

Home » Middle East conflict » One of the lost tribes of Israel returns home

One of the lost tribes of Israel returns home

Indians from India claim Jewish citizenship and are going to move there.

I was in Israel when the Fulashi, a Sudanese tribe were being moved in as well. You have to admire the determination to allow all groups claiming the Jewish lineage the right to enter the country.

A GROUP of 51 Indians who claim to be descendants of one of the ten lost biblical tribes were on their way to Israel last night, in what is viewed by their supporters as a fulfilment of prophecy.

They were converted to Judaism in India by rabbis after Israel's chief rabbinate last year recognised about 7,000 people from the remote north-eastern states of Mizoram and Minapur who claim ancient Israelite ancestry through belonging to the Bnei Menashe, one of the ten tribes that were lost after being exiled by the Assyrians in 586BC.

Michael Jankelowitz, spokesman for the Jerusalem-based Jewish Agency, which is co-ordinating the Indians' arrival, said "they have lived a Jewish way of life for decades" including by keeping Saturday as the Sabbath and observing Jewish dietary laws.

The "homecoming" highlights the strange mix of religion and nationalism that a country that views itself as the heir of biblical forebears can throw up. Ironically, the arrival of the Indians comes soon after a senior government minister, Avigdor Lieberman, raised questions about the future of Israel's Arab citizens, by advocating making Israel "as much as possible" a homogenous Jewish country.

The Indians' Jewish practices were observed after 1953, when a holy man from a remote village in Mizoram said the Holy Spirit had appeared to him in a vision, to explain that the Christian tribe he belonged to were actually the children of Menashe, son of the biblical Joseph, and that God instructed them to return to what he determined to be their previous religion, Judaism and to their homeland, Israel.

Some researchers say certain practices involving animal sacrifice were similar to ancient Hebrew traditions, while an ancient song among one tribe talked of crossing the Red Sea.

Much more on the site
 http://news.scotsman.com/in...
By netchicken: posted on 22-11-2006

Read the comments at the bottom of the post, they are quite enlightening.

Are these people merely a source of cheap labor to replace the palestinians who cannot work in Israel?

or this one

... Quote:
I am a Cherokee indian. My tribe has many such tribal recollections dating back as far as 14,000 BC. We talk of the tribe walking from South America to the US across the land bridge that is now the Carribean Sea.
We talk of the coming of a number of other indian tribes from Siberia and even one from China. We know that Egyptians came across the Atlantic and helped the Mayans and Aztecs establish their religion, astronomy, and building techniques.

So what is wrong with a 2,000 year gap. The Assyrians did drive people from their homes, why not these people.

My name is an old word: "Elkane" which no one knows what it means anymore. My modern name is "awholi" which means eagle.

So why cannot these people remember an old song, we still have them that go back even further than 600 BC.

As to the flint blade, surgeons use flint in the operating room in some hospitals. It is extremely sharp and durable.

I think this is a good article that bears thinking about.
By netchicken: posted on 22-11-2006

Just the fulfilling of prophesy.
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 23-11-2006

One of the lost tribes of Israel returns home | [Login ]