Nirvana\'s \'Smells Like Teen Spirit\' top song for the last 20 years is about a deodorant

Home » Music videos » Nirvana's 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' top song for the last 20 years is about a deodorant

Nirvana's 'Smells Like Teen Spirit' top song for the last 20 years is about a deodorant

Turns out that "Teen Spirit" was a deodorant, fun facts you never knew.

According to Q magazine...

"The thing about 'Smells Like Teen Spirit,' it was a watershed moment in rock music. It changed everything,"

said Q magazine deputy editor Gareth Grundy of the iconic Nirvana hit.

"It put heavy music back on the map in the early 90's, really, that combination of punk-rock anger and the heavy Black Sabbath 70's metal. It was something new. Sulky kids everywhere loved Nirvana and continue to do so." here

Load up on guns
Bring your friends
Its fun to lose
And to pretend
Shes overboard
Myself assured
I know I know
A dirty word

Hello (x 16)

With the lights out its less dangerous
Here we are now
Entertain us
I feel stupid and contagious
Here we are now
Entertain us
A mulatto
An albino
A mosquito
My libido
Yea

Im worse at what I do best
And for this gift I feel blessed
Our little group has always been
And always will until the end

Hello (x 16)

Here we are now
Entertain us
Here we are now
Entertain us
A mulatto
An albino
A mosquito
My libido
Yea

And I forget
Just what it takes
And yet I guess it makes me smile
I found it hard
Its hard to find
Oh well, whatever, nevermind

Hello (x 16)

Here we are now
Entertain us
Here we are now
Entertain us
A mulatto
An albino
A mosquito
My libido
Yea
By netchicken: posted on 29-11-2006

Things you never knew - "Teen Spirit" is a deodorant.

Teen Spirit is an anti-perspirant/deodorant, originally sold by Mennen until the company was acquired by Colgate-Palmolive in 1992.

The Teen Spirit line of products steadily lost popularity after its peak in the early 1990s. However, this peak was largely due to its inadvertently being featured in the 1991 popular Nirvana song "Smells Like Teen Spirit." Before this, the Teen Spirit line was much as it is now, small and relatively unheard of.

Teen Spirit was first released by Mennen early in 1991, and with heavy advertising campaigns, it had soon "established a market niche" with teen girls. However, one of its biggest boosts came from the grunge band Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit," a song that was inspired by a friend of lead singer Kurt Cobain, Kathleen Hanna (lead singer of the punk band Bikini Kill at the time), spray painting "Kurt Smells Like Teen Spirit" on his wall (because Tobi Vail, Hanna's band mate and Kurt's then-girlfriend, wore Teen Spirit).

At the time the song was released, Cobain had no idea that the brand even existed; when he did find out, he was rather upset that the song had apparently been named after a line of deodorant

http://en.wikipedia.org/wik...

TeenSpiritStick.jpg - 26.85kb
By netchicken: posted on 13-7-2010

Its the 20th anniversary of the first performance of "Smells like teen Spirit".

Twenty years ago tonight, Nirvana took the stage at the OK Hotel in Seattle, Wash., and played “Smells Like Teen Spirit” in concert for the first time — debuting a song that not only would change the lives of Kurt Cobain and Co., but would, in just a few months time, alter the course of ’90s popular music.

Of the song, Cobain famously said he “was basically trying to rip off the Pixies… we used their sense of dynamics, being soft and quiet and then loud and hard.” It’s an apt homage, considering that Nirvana’s explosive success — and Nevermind’s ushering in of mainstream alternative — was in many ways a culmination of the long road tread by the bands that comprised the ’80s college rock and indie underground universe.

From: http://www.slicingupeyeball... (Video of the song the first time it was sung in a concert is on the link)

Some more comments on this auspicious date Reddit
By netchicken: posted on 18-4-2011

Nirvana\'s \'Smells Like Teen Spirit\' top song for the last 20 years is about a deodorant | [Login ]