Woman sues Kraft over fake guacamole

Home » Current events and news » Woman sues Kraft over fake guacamole

Woman sues Kraft over fake guacamole

This plaintiff has a point, Kraft guacamole has only 2% guacamole in it. I have been sucked into buying it as well, it is bland to the point of being horrible. Sure its easy to make your own guacamole but you have to get avocados that are ripe enough first.

Peanut butter is made from peanuts, tomato paste is made from tomatoes, and guacamole is made from avocados, right?

Wrong. The guacamole sold by Kraft Foods Inc., one of the bestselling avocado dips in the nation, includes modified food starch, hefty amounts of coconut and soybean oils, and a dose of food coloring. The dip contains precious little avocado, but many customers mistake it for wholly guacamole.

On Wednesday, a Los Angeles woman sued the Northfield, Ill.-based food company, alleging that it committed fraud by calling its dip "guacamole." Her lawyer says suits against other purveyors of "fake guacamole" could be filed soon.

The suit, which seeks class-action status, highlights the liberty some food companies take in labeling their products.

If consumers read the fine print, they would discover that Kraft Dips Guacamole contains less than 2% avocado. But few of them do. California avocado growers, who account for 95% of the nation's avocado crop, said they didn't know that store-bought guacamole contained little of their produce.

"We have not looked at this issue, but we might follow it now that we are aware of it," said Tom Bellamore, the top lawyer at the California Avocado Commission in Irvine.

Kraft and other food companies said they weren't deceiving customers by skimping on the avocado. A Kraft spokeswoman said most people understood that guacamole was part of the company's line of flavored dips.

Kraft guacamole is essentially a whipped paste made from partially hydrogenated soybean and coconut oils, corn syrup, whey and food starch. Yellow and blue dyes give it the green color.

"We think customers understand that it isn't made from avocado," said Claire Regan, Kraft Foods' vice president of corporate affairs. "All of the ingredients are listed on the label for consumers to reference."

Nonetheless, Kraft is relabeling the product, which could not be found during a random check of six Southern California supermarkets this week.

Regan said the company was changing its label to make it clearer that it was selling guacamole-flavored dip. She said she was not familiar with the lawsuit.

Brenda Lifsey, the plaintiff, said she made a three-layer dip with Kraft guacamole last year only to discover that it contained almost none of the ingredient she most expected: avocado.

"It just didn't taste avocadoey," said Lifsey, who identified herself as a federal employee who lives in Los Angeles. "I looked at the ingredients and found there was almost no avocado in it."

"It is really deceptive marketing," said Michael Jacobson, executive director of the Center for Science in the Public Interest in Washington, which three years ago called for more accurate labeling of guacamole dips

more on the site LA Times
By netchicken: posted on 4-12-2006

As much as I despise our sue-happy culture, I can honestly agree here. The line needs to be drawn and food companies need to be held accountable for the garbage they are pumping into our bodies.

Ive always been an avid label reader, which is why long ago I decided not to eat the shitty foods at the supermarket. Because I saw how much food is improperly labeled. I was aware of this long before it gathered media attention. When Id read labels claiming light or healthy foods, I would find that there were no real ingriedients in them, or very little, and they were loaded with alot of garbage.

If anyone lives on the west coast, you should be familiar with a chain of stores like Trader Joes. When I read the labels on the majority of their products, listed are REAL ingriedients, and if there are preservatives, its usually vitamin C or E or citric acid, which are ok. When I bought guacamole there, the first ingriedient on the label is avacados, followed by spices, garlic, tomatoe, pepper, salt, and then maybe citric acid at the bottom on some types, none on others.

But when I buy a tub of guacamole, I expect there to be avacados in it, and I feel its reasonable for most people to assume the same. Thus, I hope Kraft gets nailed for this. It is fraud.
By Twilight_Rogue: posted on 5-12-2006

Yuck!

I've never had this dip by Kraft, but it sure sounds appetizing. :yak

Oh look! I bet there was more avocado in my puke than their guacamole!

This is one of the reasons I changed my diet a few weeks ago, though. I'm just sick of putting that sort of crap in my body, along with fast foods (packaged foods), etc. Reading the labels can be quite the shocker. I'm glad they put the nutritional information on bottled drinks now, too, because youquite easily see that there's no difference between fruitopia and coke sugar-wise, and that fruit juice isn't a huge component of the drink either, the vitamin c is added, etc.

Go natural!

I've gone vegetarian, and basically have stopped eating things out of jars and boxes because I'm making my own sauces, eating fresh, etc. I've been feeling great, too. I know it's not for everyone, but I'm having great success with it and would recommend it to anyone to at least try.

It's good to remember that it's easy to pump the body full of nasty things as a vegetarian, too, though, as there are plenty of processed products out there for vegetarian consumption that are no better. It all comes down to (for veggies and non-veggies both) to eating fresh foods and paying attention to labels otherwise.

:guy
By parrhesia: posted on 5-12-2006

The reason these packaged foods are so ubiquitous is that they save time and need little effort to eat. When you have no time and dont care enought as long it fills your stomach so that you can get back to work as fast as possible, nothing beats these packaged things.

Obviously, it always good to have a "natural" meal once in a while. :P
By IAF: posted on 5-12-2006

... Quote:
Originally posted by IAF
The reason these packaged foods are so ubiquitous is that they save time and need little effort to eat. When you have no time and dont care enought as long it fills your stomach so that you can get back to work as fast as possible, nothing beats these packaged things.

For sure! I know how it is. Sometimes I feel like resorting to them now, too. Even before going vegetarian I did one thing that made my reliance on pre-prepared foods more difficult.

I got rid of my microwave when I moved in June. It's no fun waiting 30 mins+ for something to cook in the oven and quite a lot easier to make something from fresh foods. Tastes better, too.

The only thing that sucks right now is that many things, fruits in particular, are out of season in Canada. All we're getting for the most part is over-sized tasteless crud. Oh well, all hail root veggies.

I bought it because of the difficulty in getting a ripe avocado when you need one. They are hard here in the shops and you have to let them ripen over a few days.

From experience avocado's don't last long, within 24 hours an open one is off. I wonder if that forced them to make a fake dip.

The funny thing is that if they advertise it as "avocado flavored" avocado's don't really have a strong flavor, its the other ingredients that impart the flavor, but it provides a base and nice texture.

I like mine with salt, or with french dressing poured into the hole from the stone and eaten with a spoon :)

I once worked picking them, and the best were the ripe ones you found under the trees. Avocado trees have long bouncy branches, so picking them was a scary experience at the end of a 20 foot ladder in the wind.
By netchicken: posted on 5-12-2006

Parr.....as if you weren't already weird enough:j

Avacados are expensive....right now I think they are 99cents each....I have seen them well over a buck a piece.
By Venus: posted on 5-12-2006

... Quote:
Originally posted by Venus
Parr.....as if you weren't already weird enough:j

Avacados are expensive....right now I think they are 99cents each....I have seen them well over a buck a piece.

<3you too, V :) ;)

Ya, they can be expensive. It depends on the store really, I've seen them recently for .49 cents a piece, but that was at a farmers market where thigns are normally cheaper.

Woman sues Kraft over fake guacamole | [Login ]