Somewhere Over The Rainbow by Israel Kamakawiwo\'ole - music video

Home » Music videos » Somewhere Over The Rainbow by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole - music video

Somewhere Over The Rainbow by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole - music video

This version by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole has been my favorite for the last few years. Its amazing that such a huge guy can have such a delicate voice. Israel Kamakawiwo'ole (May 20, 1959 June 26, 1997) was a Hawaiian musician.

He became famous outside Hawaii when his album Facing Future was released in 1993. His medley of "Over the Rainbow" and "What a Wonderful World" was subsequently featured in several films, television programs, and commercials.

Through his ukulele playing and incorporation of other genres (such as jazz and reggae), Kamakawiwoʻole remains one of the major influences in Hawaiian music over the last 15 years

Watch it here http://www.youtube.com/watc...

Another version

By netchicken: posted on 15-12-2006

That was just beautiful.

I didnt have a clue who he was so I looked him up....thought I would share this:

Throughout the later part of his life, Iz was morbidly obese and at one point carried over 750 pounds (340 kg) on his 6 ft 2 in (1.88 m) frame. He endured several hospitalizations and died of weight-related respiratory illness on June 26, 1997 at 12:18 am at the age of 38.

The Hawaiʻi State Flag flew at half-mast throughout the day. Iz lay in state at the Capitol building in Honolulu. He was only the third person in Hawaiian history to have this honor bestowed (the other two were Governor John A. Burns and US Senator Spark Matsunaga). Over 20,000 came to pay respects over the course of the first day.

His ashes were scattered into the ocean at Mākua Beach. Kamakawiwoʻole was nicknamed "The Gentle Giant" by his many admirers. He was described as always cheerful and positive, and he was best known for his love of the land and of the people of Hawaiʻi.
By Venus: posted on 16-12-2006

Somewhere Over The Rainbow by Israel Kamakawiwo\'ole - music video | [Login ]