Alleged progress to the release of Gilad Shalit

Home » Middle East conflict » Alleged progress to the release of Gilad Shalit

Alleged progress to the release of Gilad Shalit

Ok, if you are holding out hope, here is a possibility:

... Quote:
Palestinian sources said earlier Sunday that Israel and Hamas have agreed on the details of a deal that will see the release of the kidnapped Israel Defense Forces soldier, who was snatched from his base near the Gaza Strip on June 25.

For those who might have forgotten, Gilad is a young corporal who was kidnapped after the Arab Palestinians dug a tunnel and snatched him while he sat at a post back lst June.

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/807644.html
http://www.guerraeterna.com/archives/Gilad_Shalit.jpg
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 1-1-2007

Well its good to see he is still alive.

I wonder how well he is after all this time.
By netchicken: posted on 1-1-2007

I certainly hope he is well, and the other two as well, who are being held by Hezbollah.

A bit of an update today:

... Quote:
Prime Minister Ehud Olmert on Monday morning convened an advising meeting with his special envoy for the captive soldiers, Ofer Dekel, and other officials. Meeting participants said Israel has no intention of freeing 1,000 to 1,400 soldiers as reported in the Arab media.

The discussion also included statements that due to inflated demands by the Palestinians, no progress has been reached in negotiations to free kidnapped soldier Gilad Shalit.

Imagine, an elected government other than the PA kidnapping a soldier and holding him hostage while making such demands. Incredible.
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 2-1-2007

I know, it's hard to believe that Hamas would put out lies but it is looking as if that is the case:

... Quote:
Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee Chairman Tzahi Hanegbi said that he was not aware of any deal and that he estimated that the Palestinian reports were part of the internal struggle between Hamas and Fatah.

"It appears that Hamas, in its power struggle with Palestinian Authority Chairman Mahmoud Abbas, or out of a desire to raise the price of Gilad Shalit, is creating speculation. As far as I am aware, there is no breakthrough in talks to free him. It is media spin," said Hanegbi.

Moments later, Hamas released a statement saying that the demands were not inflated 1,500 Arab Palestinian prisoners be released for Shalid's return and that Israel had no choice but to accept them, Israel Radio reported.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1167467637829&pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 2-1-2007

1500 prisoners!!!

Thats just crazy. And I think this reaches the hub of the issue.

Hamas don't want to release the soldier, they want the advertising that comes from making demands they know will never be met.

Israel has just released to Fatah a heap load of money to run their country - all good publicity for Fatah. So Hamas are trying to get their own publicity.
By netchicken: posted on 2-1-2007

The Arab groups know the weakness of the Israelis; that they are unwilling to sacrifice their own, and they plan on taking advatage of this weakness. I think the Israeli Govt should seriously consider such situations more objectively. I doubt even America would pay such a huge price for its citizens as much as Israel does!
In the end, hopefully they dont make any foolish decisions over this soldier.
By IAF: posted on 2-1-2007

update:

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/808682.html

... Quote:
Palestinian sources told Haaretz that under the terms of the proposal, Hamas would give Israel a video showing that the 20-year-old Shalit is alive, and in exchange, Israel would release an as-yet undecided number of women and minors held in its jails.

Next, Shalit would be transferred to Egypt, and then to Israel; at the same time, Israel would release the 450 Palestinian prisoners.

Finally, about two months later, Israel would release additional prisoners. Israel would be authorized to decide both how many and which prisoners to free at this stage, but has promised to be "generous," the sources said.
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 3-1-2007

Alleged progress to the release of Gilad Shalit | [Login ]