Man poses on dead horse - old mystery photo

Home » Amazing Pictures » Man poses on dead horse - old mystery photo
More Amazing Pictures

Man poses on dead horse - old mystery photo

I tidied this pic up to remove the scratches, it looks like a man sitting on a dead horse. However the horse is in a hole, which might be some sort of crater, which might go some way to explaining the dead horse.

There also appears to be some stick like objects in front of the man. Could they be gas pipes, and could a gas main have exploded?

A vintage Sheboygan photo, taken before the turn of the 20th century, shows a scene at Eighth Street and Indiana Avenue, looking north toward the Eighth Street bridge.

In the photo, a dead horse lies in the street, roped off with string tied to stakes in the dirt road. A man in a top hat, bow tie and jacket sits on top of the horse, and people in the background are standing still, looking toward the camera.

... Quote:
I always just assumed it was taken as a joke or something like that. I was never able to find out anything about it. What the story behind that (picture) is, I don't have the foggiest notion.
said Bill Wangemann, Sheboygan city historian

The photo does say, on the back, that it was taken at Eighth Street and Indiana Avenue, and that it's of a man sitting on a dead horse.

In the background is a brick and lime business and other unidentified buildings on the banks of the Sheboygan River.

Wangemann said he guesses the photo was taken between 1890 and 1900, judging by how the men are dressed and the dirt street.

Roger Prescher, 73, owner of the Charcoal Inn South, liked the photo so much he hung a framed copy in his restaurant several years ago, along with other photos of historic Sheboygan.

"We just wanted a little nostalgia," Prescher said. "I think it's kind of funny."

from sheboygan-press.com

dead-horse.jpg - 48.88kb
By netchicken: posted on 5-1-2007

More information here
 http://www.reddit.com/r/Pic...

Various links with info here
 http://www.sheboyganpress.c...
... Quote:
This image is of the intersection of South Eighth Street (known earlier as Griffith Street) and Indiana Avenue," Dippel said in a written report of her findings.

"The image is dated between 1876 and 1884. The Eighth Street Bridge shown in the image is the second one built in 1876, so (the picture was taken) after that. And the railroad tracks, which ran east and west north of the intersection, are not yet there. They were installed in 1884.

see also this item, http://ancestralmanor.com/d...
By netchicken: posted on 18-6-2009

Games Magazine (Kappa Publishing) had its feature article in their May 2010 issue (which was delivered March 11th) on this photo's mysteries and clues.

Did you see the locomotive?
By seansms: posted on 13-3-2010

No! In the image?

According to the link above, this was taken before the railway was made.
... Quote:
"The image is dated between 1876 and 1884. The Eighth Street Bridge shown in the image is the second one built in 1876, so (the picture was taken) after that. And the railroad tracks, which ran east and west north of the intersection, are not yet there. They were installed in 1884.
By netchicken: posted on 13-3-2010

Man poses on dead horse - old mystery photo | [Login ]