US sub collides with Japanese ship

Home » Current events and news » US sub collides with Japanese ship

US sub collides with Japanese ship

This will be bad publicity for the navy after the last time they sunk a ship by mistake.

Why can't subs tell that there is a ship above them? Surely they are designed to identify and track surface vessels, so to bump into one is very impolite at best. And who complains about asian drivers?

A U.S. submarine has collided with a Japanese merchant vessel, a senior U.S. Navy official told CNN.

The USS Newport News was surfacing in the Arabian Sea south of the Straits of Hormuz when it hit the Japanese ship, the official said.

There were no injuries, he said, but there was some damage.

"Neither ship is in extremis," the official said late Monday local time in Washington D.C., meaning the damage was not serious enough to put the ships in jeopardy.

The incident recalled a previous collision between a U.S. submarine and a Japanese ship.

On February 9, 2001, the USS Greeneville struck the training ship Ehime Maru during an emergency ascent demonstration.

Nine people, including four high school students, were killed. Twenty-six others on the ship were rescued.

CNN
By netchicken: posted on 9-1-2007

I would think it is like driving a Buick in a fog bank while looking out a small section of the windshield.

Today's subs aren't really like theold WWII subs where their mission was to sink military and commercial vessels, they are ICBM platforms or subkillers, primarily.

Still, you'd think there'd be a way to have a better chance of not bumping into things while surfacing! Sure, the seas are big but two times in five years?
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 9-1-2007

I am not too worried about the Japanese merchant vessel but if the Sub was hit then there would be a serious radiation spill! Maybe patroling the busy shipping lanes has made the crews less cautious. But the navy should certainly see to it that this thing doesnt happen again. I am sure we can all remember the Russian Sub that sank and killed its crew and the botched up hell they did to keep it a secret and while recovering it!
By IAF: posted on 11-1-2007

US sub collides with Japanese ship | [Login ]