Apples new iPhone cellphone

Home » Science & Technology » Apples new iPhone cellphone

Apples new iPhone cellphone

Whats the iPhone like? It's a stunner. Where can you get information on the new iPhone? Hopefully we can get some IPhone information in this thread.

Here is the official iphone demonstration video on it.

Here is the seond iPhone video, its a darn pretty looking phone!

apple-iphone.jpg - 24.29kb
By netchicken: posted on 10-1-2007

Here are some details on the Iphone

Stats: 3.5 inch widescreen,
11.6mm thick,
uses multi-finger gestures,
runs slimmed down OS X,
syncs calendars, contacts, etc.,
core animation built in,
syncs everything through iTunes,
can tell if being held vertically or horizontally - changes screen display to suit,
highest res display they've ever shipped, conference calling...just punch a contact to add them in

Engadget

apple-iphone-official-1.jpg - 78.36kb

Rumor that it has an 8gig hard drive!

apple-iphone-3.jpg - 35.82kb

This is a sign of the impact of the new Iphone.

Just look at the change over the last few hours in Apples stock compared to other providers.

From here

apple-iphone-stock.jpg - 73.39kb

Hardware Features
- 3.5" Widescreen touch-sensitive display
- 11.6 mm thin
- 2 megapixel camera
- proximity sensor, accelerometer, and ambient light sensors
- Quad-band GSM/EDGE + WiFI + Bluetooth 2.0
- Battery Life: 16 hours audio, 5 hour talk/video/browse time

Software Features
- Runs version of OSX. "Full desktop-class applications"
- conference call support with up to 3 participants
- multiple SMS session support (iChat-like interface)
- Safari: first fully useable HTML browser on a phone
- "coolest photo management app ever"
- Widget support
- Yahoo IMAP mail
- Google Maps (with satellite image) integration

The phone will be offered exclusively through Cingular in the US in June, and will come to Europe in Q4 2007, and Asia in 2008.

A 4 GB model will be offered for $499 with a 2 year contract, and an 8 GB model will fetch $599 with similar contract provisions.

The phone can be purchased through Cingular's website or via the Apple Store.

From http://www.macrumors.com/

What about problems? from two posters on Digg.com

Problems:
- Touchscreen keyboard that you use with your fingers... and it's QWERTY of all things! Come on. I have a few problems with this.

First, you get no tactile feedback like you would on a thumb board. So you can forget about using this without looking at the on-screen keyboard while you type.

Second, you're almost always going to be holding the device with one hand, so that leaves one hand, and realistically, just one finger for typing.

A layout like FITALY or something similar where the most commonly used letters are CLOSE to each other would have been better. I mean, QWERTY was designed to slow people on typewriters down even!

Lastly, I don't care how strongly you feel against a stylus, chubby digits aren't better for input. If they really wanted to do something special, they could have made a thumb board that was optimized for two thumb input instead of QWERTY. People don't want to change their input method, Steve. They want something they can type FAST on!

- No small screen rendering in Safari. Come on. It's not a high resolution screen. Trying to display web pages with teeny-tiny text and then allowing you to zoom in is not a good solution. See Opera Mobile for a good example of small screen rendering. It should at least be an option.

- No 3G.

- End call is a big touch screen button. Didn't we learn anything from the touch screen Treos? I don't want the call to end when i bump my big floppy ears.

- Synchronizing contacts with iTunes? No thanks. We need other options. Most of the world uses Outlook.

Another poster said...

They jumped the shark.
Its a fragile, expensive kitchen sink device with no focus or real-world mobile form factor considerations (cept size).

Apple is trying to keep the ball rolling with the success of the MacBook and iPod (I've owned one Blackbook and purchased 5 iPods, and spent 2 years doing mobile device development), but this keynote saw them going in the wrong direction.

1. The first thing you make sure of in a mobile phone is to insure people feel comfortable handling it, stuffing it in their pocket or purse, and dropping it. This thing is just a huge expensive screen (it costs the same as a 30" widescreen HDTV). I treat my video ipod like royalty and the screen is a disaster - I dont want to think about what it would look like if I treated it like my cell phone.

2. The mobile device world is not naive about touchscreen keyboards/keypads - they have been around forever - people hate them, universally. This is why we have physical thumbboards - people LIKE them. People *want* tactile feedback when they type. The touchscreen is a compromise to jam the widescreen in. Having buttons is GOOD. This single 'feature' was a death knell for this phone.

3. $599 for only 8GB and a TWO-YEAR contract?
I haven't signed a mobile contract (or switched carriers) in years, I just swap sim cards.
Unlocked GSM please.

4. The screenshots of the web browser looked like safari wasnt compensating at all for the screen size - I couldnt read any of the hyperlinks on the amazon page and it was blown up on a movie screen. Safari was just pretending it was a tiny monitor and shrunk everything. Did Apple even look at the Blackberry or Opera Mobile browsers?

5. Did he show any pictures taken with the camera, or did the bloggers just miss it?

6. YMail instead of GMail?

7. No IM clients?!

8. This isnt a problem with the iPhone its a tricky usability problem with any musicphone.
My K700i played music but there was an awkward catch to it. I always had a music player with me, but for that reason I always needed to carry the special stereo wired headset too just in case I wanted to listen to music, which I never did. As a result, I never really used the music feature. Now I have a blackberry and dont carry any headset, and if I want music I will bring an iPod. This sounds like a weird argument but if you had one you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.

9. No upgradable storage.
Apple has always had a pretty much zero tolerance policy on upgrading products - just buy a new one, its better!
You can buy 8GB of SD memory from retailer NewEgg for $90, but evidentally, Apple charges $200.
Want more? Spend another $600 in 2009 (you wont be able to do it in 2008 because of your two-year contract!)!

10. Battery life. Nuff said.

Applese IPhone site

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

OK, apparently it has GPS built in and using google maps will tell you where you are.

Then you type in where you want to go and it shows you the route.

google-maps-iphone.jpg - 31.61kb

Time Magazine article on iPhone

Apple's new iPhone could do to the cell phone market what the iPod did to the portable music player market: crush it pitilessly beneath the weight of its own superiority. This is unfortunate for anybody else who makes cell phones, but it's good news for those of us who use them.

It's not quite right to call the iPhone revolutionary. It won't create a new market, or change the entertainment industry, the way the iPod did. When you get right down to it, the device doesn't even have that many new features—it's not like Jobs invented voicemail, or text messaging, or conference calling, or mobile Web browsing. He just noticed that they were broken, and he fixed them.

time.com

Another IPhone commerical that is rarely advertised:

By IAF: posted on 14-1-2007

Thats really good!
Boy they must have worked quick to get that one out :)
By netchicken: posted on 14-1-2007

:o i want one but i cant aford one :o
By justsomekid: posted on 7-5-2007

:ws
By justsomekid: posted on 7-5-2007

I bet other manufacturers are working as hard as possible to get their own versions of the iphone out. Six months after this is released the market will be full of clones. We will all be able to get one then :)
By netchicken: posted on 7-5-2007

Apples new iPhone cellphone | [Login ]