Map of military armaments around Russia

Home » World events & politics » Map of military armaments around Russia

Map of military armaments around Russia

Although this map looks like Russia is surrounded by an armed and deadly west with munitions ready to attack it, its not.

Note that the picture is in Russian, to me its just a feature of Russian paranoia and fear. Also the rise of the new Russian state demands enemies to oppose. A map like this gives the leaders justification to rebuild their armies.

Can anyone really believe that the west wants to attack or threaten Russia? If it was going to do so it would have by now, as the Russian military crumbles away.

natorussiasurroundedsv9.jpg - 62.3kb
By netchicken: posted on 22-2-2007

Had we wanted to overtake Russia we would not have sunk billions into their system, trying to keep them from falling into anarchy and also trying to give them a chance at free enterprise and all that stuff.

Their military hasn't really crumbled as we have been led to believe, thanks in part to the U.S. pumping tons of cash into their greedy little hands.
They are also busy developing new and improved weaponry.

This is just trumped up crap they will use to rationalize their next push against the West. In cahoots with their lovely ME friends such as Iran and Syria.
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 22-2-2007

Seems like they are seriously out numbered and out gun/missile -d after looking at that map. The US has missile batteries( and SAM's I think) all around Russia! Basically boxed in.

If they want to build a missile shield to protect Europe against Iranian missiles ( because they sure as hell cannot reach the US ) then they might as well use Russian soil to do so. I mean why stop at Russian borders if Russia is not part of the "hostile" list ?

It makes little sense in a way. The Russians, the chinese and the North Koreans are the only nations that can land a nuke on US soil if you discount France and UK as potential hostiles. In that case we should concentrate our efforts there than the ME.
By IAF: posted on 23-2-2007

It appears they are surrounded by what?

What do we have in the U.K. or Germany?

Our nuclear weapons were taken out of that theater years ago.

As far as weapons in Alaska, I have no idea, but I'd not bet against them.

Still once again, who has been the aggressors in the past?
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 23-2-2007

Yep, TC. SALT II. WE aint got nukes in Europe. By the time I was stationed in Germany, I was arriving just as the Berlin brigade was disassembling. On weekends I spent my time spelunking into the old, abandoned nuke complexes and bunkers that had long been out of use, to the point many were structurally unsound and filled with years of stagnant rainwater.

Fulda base was disbanded, and Bitburg Airbase, the last major Air Offensive unit left my first year there. The only Tank and Cav units that were still around when I left Germany back in 96 were in Hanau and Baumholder. Our Patriot Missile units, which are defensive anyway, were reduced, with 2 battalions returning to the states, and 2 Batallions losing a couple batteries each. Could be less now.

Basically when I left, our forces in Europe were vastly support capacity. Rhein Main AFB in Frankfurt, once the big daddy of bases, was reduced to a skeleton crew, and Rammstein became the big one. In terms of offensive power, the French are more a threat to Russia than we are.

So yeah, Russia is being paranoid twats as usual, probably stoking the fires of paranoia to set the stage for new hostilities.
By Twilight_Rogue: posted on 15-3-2007

They dont see US forces as only those wearing US uniforms. All NATO forces are seen as US forces and potential threats. Thats the way they see them .
By IAF: posted on 15-3-2007

Good. Now they understand the great unease Western Europe was living under.
By Twilight_Rogue: posted on 25-3-2007

That is not what they are showing. They are not showing simply NATO bases.
Regardless, there is no threat worth mentioning poised against Russia. U.S., NATO or otherwise.

Our conventional capability against Russia was never enough to do a thing but slow them down a little bit. Our tactical-nuclear capabilities were to slow them down a lot. We no longer have that nuclear capability in Europe. Period. End of statement. The most this could be is propaganda for the Russian government aimed against the united states of America, lending credence as to why they are supporting the enemies of the West.
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 26-3-2007

Map of military armaments around Russia | [Login ]