A world without America.

Home » Online videos » A world without America.
More Online Videos

A world without America.

Well there is a group of Britishers who have launched a campaign to stem the growing tide of Anti-Americanism in Britain or so they claim. I dont know if this an attempt at sycophancy or some other nefarious intent.
By IAF: posted on 23-2-2007

Actually although its in vogue to critisize and denigrate America, I think that a world without America would be a far poorer place. Americans, as indiciduals, have a sence of decency about them that is sometimes far greater than that of other people. The culture of "anyone can succeed" is also needed especially in Europe which is constrained by centuries of legislation and conformity.

Apart from the present problems in the middle East I am glad that America is going into bat for the democratic freedoms that I feel are important and resisting the forces that threaten to destroy our western culture.

Unfortunatly however there is a crassness and shallowness of American society (Ann nichol anyone), teenage gangs with their denigration of women and glorification of violence, the spreading of affluenza (you need to buy, buy, buy), the sexualization of children, etc, that gets shipped to other countries along with the good.

Mind you the world was also a great place when the British Empire ruled the world. What comes after the American empire does create concern, do we really want China, or the Middle East to hold dominant positions in the world?
By netchicken: posted on 23-2-2007

NC you are too generous with the America way of life. However here is this slight misconception that unfortunately our media projects as larger than life.

The Anna Nicole and the Britney spears of american society represent elements that have risen to the top due to "anyone can succeed" nature of our society. The downside of such a system! Fame can be achieved by any sort of people. The more vulgar and shocking the more appealing. I think this is because most Americans live very ordinary lives.

As for the British Empire it was certainly better than it would have been under say the Germans or the Japanese but it wasnt good in a lot of cases. Most the pressing issues in the world today are a product of that empire from Palestine to Kashmir.

I think as the Asian economies grow and develop and we see and hear more of their culture it will only richen our own way of life. For centuries we have imposed what we know to be good and true on them and now we estimate that they will do some imposing of their own. I dont feel that these cultures depart too much from our own and in the end we may very well be better off for it. After all its not like our culture is the epitome of perfection as it stands now.
By IAF: posted on 23-2-2007

... Quote:
Originally posted by netchicken
Unfortunatly however there is a crassness and shallowness of American society (Ann nichol anyone), teenage gangs with their denigration of women and glorification of violence, the spreading of affluenza (you need to buy, buy, buy), the sexualization of children, etc, that gets shipped to other countries along with the good.

I appreciate the kinder things you said about Americans but I have to defend those of us that find all the things above just as appalling as you do. I think its the media that is shoving ANS and Brittney down our throats. I, and most people I talk to, are tired of this being on every channel....and those other things you mentioned, with the exception of "buy, buy, buy" surely can not be blamed on America.
By Venus: posted on 24-2-2007

A world without America. | [Login ]