Cuddly bear raised by hand must be killed says activist

Home » Bizarre world » Cuddly bear raised by hand must be killed says activist

Cuddly bear raised by hand must be killed says activist

Sometimes I think issues get in the way of common sence or even logic. This animal activist wants to kill a baby bear because it has been raised by hand and therefore tainted by humans.

BERLIN, Germany (AP) -- Berlin Zoo's abandoned polar bear cub Knut looks cute, cuddly and has become a front-page media darling, but an animal rights activist insisted Monday he would have been better off dead than raised by humans.

... Quote:
Feeding by hand is not species-appropriate but a gross violation of animal protection laws. The zoo must kill the bear.
animal rights activist Frank Albrecht was quoted as saying by the mass-circulation Bild daily, which has featured regular photo spreads tracking fuzzy Knut's frolicking.

When Knut -- or "Cute Knut," as the 8.7 kilogram (19 pound) bear has become known -- was born last December, his mother ignored him and his brother, who later died. Zoo officials intervened, choosing to raise the cub themselves.

The story prompted quick condemnations from the zoo, politicians and other animal rights groups.

"The killing of an animal has nothing to do with animal protection," said Wolfgang Apel, head of the German Federation for the Protection of Animals.

More on the site
 http://www.cnn.com/2007/WOR...

Here is the actual bear ... I have to admit it would make a nice rug

cuddly-bear.jpg - 12.48kb
By netchicken: posted on 20-3-2007

OH NO YOU DIDNT:(

I think that activist should be put to sleep:sh
By Venus: posted on 22-3-2007

Hmmmm. polar bear casserole................

Sounds like a media led story to me.
By tim: posted on 22-3-2007

Polar bear casserole with a penguin stew!!

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Sometimes obsessions can take hold over reality. That guy needs to see the bear for what it is, not what he wants it to be.

Either that of give me a leg for a roast.
By netchicken: posted on 22-3-2007

... Quote:
Either that of give me a leg for a roast.

Yea you just got to ask yourself this, could you stop at one?

Tim what do you mean by a media led story?

Do you mean like the Beatles incident, were greater than Jesus
Fiasco where it was misquoted and blown out of proportion.

Other than shamefully agreeing that the cute little buggers fur
Would indeed make a nice rug, I am somewhat confused that an
Animal rights activist would even think such a thing.
By Shan: posted on 23-3-2007

I dont think the activist truly meant that it had to be killed but I think he was trying the infer that its existence in captivity, no matter how luxurious would rob it of true existence in the wild and the many traits and behaviors wild polar bears exhibit.
By IAF: posted on 23-3-2007

Raising the bear by hand is most definately robbing it of all its wild ways, and it will never survive in the wild. But, having said that.. The wild polar bear population is decreasing and is under immense pressure, I seem to remember a photo of polar bear totally stranded on a tiny block of ice in the middle of nowhere, global warming isnt doing polar bears any favours thats for sure.

The point im trying to make is, even though it is wrong to raise the animal as they have, atleast it is one small step towards the conservation of the species. Maybe that single little bear will provide researchers with enough valuable information about the species to contribute to its future survival in the wild.

That guy whoever he was should be ashamed, what right does he have to call himself an animal activist? YOUVE GOTTA LOOK AT THE BIGGER PICTURE!
By Ely_Mountains: posted on 25-3-2007

An "ANIMAL RIGHTS ACTIVIST"????????????? You must be joking. This guy is clearly on the far left. It shows my his obvious mental illness.

What a piece of shit. I mean, does he posses psychic powers that the little bear told him via telepathy it wanted to die? I mean, has anyone asked the little bear what he thinks? Ill bet you that little bear is quite happy to be alive and has no problem being bottle fed.

And nett and IAF, I will stick both of you in the same gas chamber I have built for these animal hating liberal freaks of nature if you even think another unkind thought towards that baby bear.

He is so damn cute.
By Twilight_Rogue: posted on 25-3-2007

I think he is drawing attention to himself by saying something radical.

He only pulls down the reputation of intelligent animals rights campaigners and puts work for the protection and care of animals in jeopardy, because people don't want to support anything that is clearly an attack on the precious life of an animal from an endangered species.

Personally, I think that the little bear will press people's cute and curiousity buttons and in doing so, they will become polar sensitive and interested, hopefully then supporting causes, projects and legislation set to protect this amazing species.

My daughter was a great animal lover. She once told me that although she didn't agree with zoos, seeing an elephant in real life at our local wild animal park, inspired her to give to the save the elephant campaign. She said that seeing them on T.V. didn't give her a true sense of the animals' magnificence, whereas seeing them at the park did.

I hope that little polar bear inspires millions to take an real and active interest in the preservation of bears and their natural habitats.
By unicawn: posted on 25-3-2007

Cuddly bear raised by hand must be killed says activist | [Login ]