New printer prints one page per second

Home » Science & Technology » New printer prints one page per second

New printer prints one page per second

If this isn't a hoax, its amazing. New inkjet printer technology that analysts believe will revolutionize the imaging industry was unveiled today by secretive Silverbrook Research.

The company has released astounding videos of desktop, photo and wide-format printers that print pages and photos 5 to 10 times faster than products from current printer market leaders HP, Canon, Epson and Lexmark.

“This thing is gigantic, we've been in this business for 20 years and I've never seen something as mind boggling,” says Charles LeCompte, president of leading printer market analysis firm, Lyra Research.

“The technology will be available in products in late 2007, starting with a 100mm printhead that will be used for home and retail photo printing as well as label printing devices. An A4/Letter printhead will be available in 2008 with many different components and technology improvements planned for the future,” the company announced today.

HP, Canon and other printer manufacturers are described as "potential customers", by Memjet Technology, the main company established by Silverbrook to market and license the technology. The company expects the printers to eventually cost $200 or less, sources say.

Watch the video
here
By netchicken: posted on 22-3-2007

Its not a hoax. It appears there are inkjet heads right across the page, instead of just in the cartridge. That means you don't have to wait for the cartridge to move into position.

In that case you are only limited by the speed that you can push the paper through. The inkjets can fire as fast as the movement of the paper.

http://www.physorg.com/news...

"I've seen it with my own eyes," said Charlie LeCompte, president of Lyra Research, which tracks the printer market. "They've been showing several models since January. I've seen the photo printer running; I haven't seen the letter printer running, but other people - at Lyra - have."

"I've been following this industry for 20 years, and I've never seen anything of this scale: 10 times faster, 20 times cheaper, all at once," LeCompte added.

Silverbrook plans to offer the Memjet technology as part of several products: a photo printer, which the company hopes to sell for less than $150; the 8x10 color inkjet, due to arrive at the end of 2008 for under $200; a label printer; and a large-format photo printer, expected to cost about $5,000, and capable of printing poster-sized prints "twenty times faster than anything I've ever seen," LeCompte said.

"Conventional wisdom is that you cannot have high speed, quality color and low cost all at once," said Bill McGlynn, chief executive of Memjet's home and office business, in a statement.

"This technology turns that notion on its head, making page-wide color printing practical and cost-effective. We believe this breakthrough technology will change the printing industry by eliminating the cost and performance barriers of color, and by allowing both incumbents and non-incumbents to compete on a new playing field."
By netchicken: posted on 27-3-2007

Yeah maybe cost effective for business in the speed at which it prints.
But isnít the cost of the ink that matters, the current Printer manufactures
Seem to be aiming at making its money on the ink side of it.

For instance. I brought a cannon ip4200 for $124 AU dollars yet
To get replacement ink itíll cost me the same friggin price.
I know thereís cheap ink alternatives but the buggers are chipping there
Carts now and youíll have to loose warranty if you choose to go that way.

Now with more print heads would that mean higher chance of blocked nozzles.
By Shan: posted on 28-3-2007

New printer prints one page per second | [Login ]