The Whitest Sand in the World

Home » Amazing Pictures » The Whitest Sand in the World
More Amazing Pictures

The Whitest Sand in the World

Australia: Jervis Bay on the NSW South Coast is said to have the World's Whitest sand on its beaches. On a recent trip there I found out why.......

jervis 2.jpg - 53.93kb
By Ely_Mountains: posted on 27-3-2007

Jervis Bay has some of the calmest water i have seen. The waves are small and the water is really shallow. It surprised me to find out that one of Australias most famous surf beaches, and largest breaks is only a 20 min drive on the other side of the point outside the bay. This is Caves Beach

caves 1.jpg - 101.3kb

a cave on caves beach

caves 2.jpg - 144.05kb

Caves Beach

caves 4.jpg - 42kb

Whitest beaches, eh?

Here is Panama City beach, Florida:

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n172/Venus95037/whitebeach.jpg
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 27-3-2007

Hey its not all cut and dried on the whitest sand beach... I remember Tallebudgerra beach as a kid fishing for something, whiting? It was very nice.

The title of the whitest sand in Australia is being disputed by the nation's beachside locales.

The Shoalhaven City Council has long claimed Hyams Beach at Jervis Bay in NSW to have the whitest sand in the world.

However, a study by the National Committee on Soils and Terrain has found Lucky Bay in the Cape Le Grand National Park in Western Australia as being the whitest beach in Australia.

Equal second were Tallebudgerra Beach near the Gold Coast in Queensland and Hellfire Bay in WA, with Squeaky Beach near Victorias Wilsons Promontory fourth and Hyams Beach fifth.

However, Shoalhaven City Council tourism manager Tom Phillips told the Canberra Times that Hyams Beach would continue to be promoted as having the whitest sand in the world.

The whiteness of beaches, often used as a tourist drawcard because of its association with cleanliness, is dependent on the presence of quartz or coral.

The Committee has said it would be willing to review the results if an appeal were made.

The result could also be disputed on the basis that there were no entries from North Queensland coral beaches, which might have been serious contenders for the title.
By netchicken: posted on 27-3-2007

Thanx for that netchicken. Most of those photos are from Blenheim beach at Jervis Bay, which is very close to Hyams beach (about 15mins walk). Hyams beach was wonderful but i liked Blenheim better. Also their were Kangaroos on the beach when i went for a run in the morning, which is an odd sight indeed. It is a wildlife paradise and and a beautiful place.

The Whitest Sand in the World | [Login ]