31 deaths in University shooting

Home » World events & politics » 31 deaths in University shooting

31 deaths in University shooting

Very sad. It must be a terrifying thing to experience, especially as he chained the doors shut with the people inside.

At 7:15 a.m. Monday, a 911 call came in to the campus police department concerning an incident at West Ambler Johnston, a residence hall, and that there were multiple shooting victims. While that investigation was underway, a second shooting was reported in Norris Hall, located at the opposite end of the 2,600-acre campus.

Virginia Tech Police Chief Wendell Flinchum said at least one person was killed at West Ambler Johnston but several others were injured in that shooting. The others were killed in Norris Hall, Flinchum said.

Virginia Tech is planning a 4:30 p.m. EDT press conference.

Flinchum said the Norris Hall gunman was dead, but wouldn't say whether the shooter killed himself.

Junior David Jenkins told FOX News he heard screaming in his dorm inside West Ambler Johnston residence hall Monday morning, but didn't know what it was. He later heard from other residents that there was a gunman in the building. Jenkins later heard of the mass shootings at Norris Hall.

... Quote:
From what I heard, he chained up some of the doors so people couldn't get in and he basically was just going to every classroom trying to get in, and just started shooting inside classrooms.
Jenkins said.

One of his friends was in a Norris classroom targeted by the gunman, Jenkins said.

"He was very fortunate," Jenkins said. "He said every single person in the room was shot, killed and was in the ground. He laid on the ground with everyone … he played dead and he was OK."

Victims were being treated at Montgomery Regional Hospital and Carilion New River Valley Medical Center in Christiansburg with gunshot wounds and other injuries.

President Bush said the "nation is shocked and saddened" by the shootings.

foxnews.com
By netchicken: posted on 17-4-2007

Well everyone is screaming for gun control yet they are losing sight of the real issue here. This guy was a chinese national on a student visa. We need to seal the damn border and do EXTENSIVE background checks of people entering this country. This guy wasnt even an american yet everyone will allow him to affect our way of life. :yak
By Xphilesphan: posted on 17-4-2007

Oh come on .. he could have been any one of a million faceless people walking the streets from your city.

He may have been just another angry, rejected, disturbed, screwed up teen of ANY nationality.

The only difference is that his nationality is suddenly an excuse for what he did, when its probably more a result of the society he was living in with its alienation and obsession with weapons.
By netchicken: posted on 17-4-2007

Get real, netty. Alienation? Im so sick of hearing that. Hes a friggin visitor. if he feels alienated, thats his problem. Its not the job of host country to cater to every foreigner feeling lost or whatever. Its the US, not the EU.

And the gun comment isnt even worth responding to.
By Twilight_Rogue: posted on 18-4-2007

Here is an article from the Chicago Union Tribune.

1. He was no visitor - so the idea that he was not like "normal people" is wrong.

2. Its obvious from the article that he was alienated from the society around him. Thats not a critique of American society, just an observation of the person. You can hardly kill so many if you had strong friendship bonds and a sense of belonging in the place you live. This can only happen when you can see people as 'things'.

3 I won't go over the gun part again, thats just the elephant in the room we don't talk about. Besides its too late to do anything about, society has gone passed the point of no return on that regard.

4. His nationality has nothing to do with his actions.

BLACKSBURG, Va. -- The suspected gunman in the Virginia Tech shooting rampage, Cho Seung-Hui, was a troubled 23-year-old senior from South Korea who investigators believe left an invective-filled note in his dorm room, sources say.

The note included a rambling list of grievances, according to sources. They said Cho also died with the words "Ismail Ax" in red ink on one of his arms.
Cho had shown recent signs of violent, aberrant behavior, according to an investigative source, including setting a fire in a dorm room and allegedly stalking some women.

A note believed to have been written by Cho was found in his dorm room that railed against "rich kids," "debauchery" and "deceitful charlatans" on campus.

Cho was an English major whose creative writing was so disturbing that he was referred to the school's counseling service, the Associated Press reported.

Professor Carolyn Rude, chairwoman of the university's English department, said she did not personally know the gunman. But she said she spoke with Lucinda Roy, the department's director of creative writing, who had Cho in one of her classes and described him as "troubled."

"There was some concern about him," Rude said. "Sometimes, in creative writing, people reveal things and you never know if it's creative or if they're describing things, if they're imagining things or just how real it might be. But we're all alert to not ignore things like this."

She said Cho was referred to the counseling service, but she said she did not know when, or what the outcome was.

Cho, from Centreville, Va., a rapidly growing suburb of Washington, D.C., came to the United States in 1992, an investigative source said. He was a legal permanent resident.

His family runs a dry cleaning business and he has a sister who attended Princeton University, according to the source.

Investigators believe Cho at some point had been taking medication for depression. They are examining Cho's computer for more evidence.

The gunman's family lived in an off-white, two-story town house in Centreville.

"He was very quiet, always by himself," neighbor Abdul Shash said of the gunman. Shash said the gunman spent a lot of his free time playing basketball, and wouldn't respond if someone greeted him. He described the family as quiet.

Marshall Main, who lives across the street, said the family had lived in the townhouse for several years.

According to court records, Virginia Tech Police issued a speeding ticket to Cho on April 7 for going 44 mph in a 25 mph zone, and he had a court date set for May 23.

Cho was found among the 31 dead found in an engineering hall. Police said the victims laid over four classrooms and a stairwell.

"He was a loner," said Larry Hincker, a university spokesman, who added that investigators are having some difficulty unearthing information about him.

A law enforcement official, speaking on condition of anonymity because the information had not been announced, said Cho was carrying a backpack that contained receipts for a March purchase of a Glock 9 mm pistol.

Ballistics tests by the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms showed that one gun was used in Monday's two separate campus attacks that were two hours apart.

As a permanent legal resident of the United States, Cho was eligible to buy a handgun unless he had been convicted of any felony criminal charges, a federal immigration official said.

Students at Harper Hall, the campus dormitory where Cho lived, said they had little interaction with him and no insight into what might have motivated the attack.

Timothy Johnson, a student from Annandale, Va., said people would say hello to Cho in passing, but nobody knew him well.

"People are pretty upset," Johnson said. "He's a monster; he can't be normal. I can't believe I said 'hi' to him in the hall and then he killed all those people."

Officials said the same gun was used in the attack in the dorm room and the larger-scale classroom killings.

"At this time, the evidence does not conclusively identify Cho as the gunman at both locations," said Col. W. Steven Flaherty, superintendent of Virginia State Police.

All classes at Virginia Tech will be closed for the remainder of the week, said school President Charles Steger.

Campus to hold convocation

The new details were revealed as the university readied itself for a day of mourning.

A memorial service was planned for the victims this afternoon at the university, and President Bush planned to attend. He and first lady Laura Bush were to be there "as representatives of the entire nation," the White House said.

Many students were already showing up for the memorial this afternoon, some in tears or carrying flowers. There was already an overflow crowd at the venue, and many people arriving were being turned away.
By netchicken: posted on 18-4-2007

I agree nationality had nothing to do with it and it would be wrong to think that it does. He had as much right to be there as any American has to be here. So we can get rid of the immigrant sterotype.

Well guns, as NC says is the elephant in the room. But I think the bigger problem is that there are more and more loners out there who could go off at any moment. The main cause of this is because there is not enough sense of community. People dont know how to deal with pressure, they have no where to turn to, no one to confide in. It leave them hurt, twisted and confused. I guess the rejection he felt when his girlfriend dumped him was pretty much all he could take and that triggered his already disturbed personality.

It is very easy to cast all the blame of this one person and wash our hands of this but that is the easy way out and we are merely deluding ourselves if we believe so. There is a bigger problem for society to deal with because we all know that mass murder is not human nature.
By IAF: posted on 18-4-2007

Guns are the elephant in the room? Really? Exactly what is it that you two are trying to say?

You know what, let's touch on a couple points here.

It was this monster who pulled out a weapon and fired it until over 30 people were killed. It is HIS individual responsibility for that act of absolute horror and no one else's.

IAF, you think mass murder is not human nature? Really? You ain't seen nothin' yet, pal. Things are getting worse because we are seeing the lovely effects of relative morality taking the place of G-dly values. Don't like it? Tough. Can't have liberal ideas and decent outcomes at the same time. Deal with it! And, get used to dfealing with it if you plan on sticking around once the Great Restrainer leaves the building. Then you'll see just how much mass murder IS part of hman nature.
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 18-4-2007

I find this a really disturbing image. A pic the killer sent to the media in between killing sprees

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id...

killer-gun.jpg - 45.17kb
By netchicken: posted on 19-4-2007

... Quote:
Originally posted by Twilight_Rogue
Get real, netty. Alienation? Im so sick of hearing that. Hes a friggin visitor. if he feels alienated, thats his problem. Its not the job of host country to cater to every foreigner feeling lost or whatever. Its the US, not the EU.

And the gun comment isnt even worth responding to.

No kidding...what was his problem? his g/f broke up with him? he was a loner and had no friends? he was just angry? Welcome to the real world kid. As some say, life sucks sometimes but that doesnt entitle you to end 30 some odd lives.

And come on! Guns are to blame? let me guess, the 9mm was driving and the .22 was backing him up right? libtards always assign responsiblity to the tool and not the person. If I smash my finger with a hammer, do I cuss the hammer and break it? what kind of sense would that make?

and if they think more gun laws are the answer, here is something to remember.... it is illegal to carry weapons on a college campus..what happened? didnt he know that?

you see my point?

and availiability of weapons probably wouldnt stop him because if he was really commited to doing this, he could of bought a 7$ machete at wal-mart and went to town.

The only thing that will stop this is immediate life sentences for anyone who uses a gun in a crime.
By Xphilesphan: posted on 19-4-2007

Well he left behind this:

"You had a hundred billion chances and ways to have avoided today," 23-year-old Cho Seung-Hui says in a harsh monotone. "But you decided to spill my blood. You forced me into a corner and gave me only one option. The decision was yours. Now you have blood on your hands that will never wash off."
By IAF: posted on 19-4-2007

No matter how many tragedies happen, the same old dirge drones on, 'guns don't kill, people do'. Well obviously, but guns make it sooomush easier. If Americans want to own guns, well that's their current right, and there seems no laws likely to safeguard the innocent from the gun-toting criminals.

'The right to bear arms' which many Americans hold so dearly is an antiquated idea, based on a notion that the US, at the time, had no standing army, and so a militia should be armed to protect the citizenry. America has had a standing army for quite some time now so the second amendment is actually null and void.
By kurusch: posted on 20-4-2007

I actually think this debate over gun control is dead in America.

Even if really strict gun control occured, there are just so many arms in the country you would end up taking them from the law abiding people and leaving them with the criminals.

I can't see an answer for it, maybe its just something in the culture that has to be lived with rather than removed.

The nuts will always find a way to get a gun if they want to badly enough.

I live in a country with very strict gun control laws, yet every now and then someone runs amok with a hunting rifle.

More importantly might be changing attitudes and societal structures, making guns "uncool" like they have done with smoking, and are currently doing with being overweight.

A the moment TV glorifies guns as an answer to everything.
By netchicken: posted on 21-4-2007

This guy is a schizophrenic, at least thats the psychologist's opinion. I feel that these mass murder incidents have little to do with guns in the first place. It is a social problem. Such distrubed people would have sought to bring harm whether they had firearms or not. They might have resorted to some other violent MO. IMO the focus should be on identifying such people, greater awareness about the people we interact with. I mean this Cho's room mates didnt speak to him for 6 months. They had no idea how disturbed he was. THAT is shocking! I think, one of the major issues here is Apathy.
By IAF: posted on 21-4-2007

I agree IAF!

I used to be concerned with apathy, but now I can't be bothered :)
By netchicken: posted on 21-4-2007

31 deaths in University shooting | [Login ]