New planet found media get all hyper about it

Home » Science & Technology » New planet found media get all hyper about it

New planet found media get all hyper about it

Don't worry the planet it so far away that humans won't get there in the near or far future. If humanity ever manages to travel 20 lightyears, only then will they be able to say with any degree of sureity that the planet is potentially habital.

If the mass is 5x that of earth's it might mean that gravity is 5x that as well. Not good if you have a bad back. Rules it out from the start as "potentially habitable"

Until then read the media hype and imagination. But it sells papers..

(one light year = 5.88 x 10 to the 12 miles = 116,000,000,000 miles)

BTW Mars is potentially habitable and look how difficult it is for us to get there

Hype begins
... Quote:

It has got the same climate as Earth, plus water and gravity. A newly discovered planet is the most stunning evidence that life - just like us - might be out there.

Above a calm, dark ocean, a huge, bloated red sun rises in the sky - a full ten times the size of our Sun as seen from Earth. Small waves lap at a sandy shore and on the beach, something stirs...

This is the scene - or may be the scene - on what is possibly the most extraordinary world to have been discovered by astronomers: the first truly Earth-like planet to have been found outside our Solar System.

The discovery was announced today by a team of European astronomers, using a telescope in La Silla in the Chilean Andes.

The Earth-like planet that could be covered in oceans and may support life is 20.5 light years away, and has the right temperature to allow liquid water on its surface.

This remarkable discovery appears to confirm the suspicions of most astronomers that the universe is swarming with Earth-like worlds.

We don't yet know much about this planet, but scientists believe that it may be the best candidate so far for supporting extraterrestrial life.

The new planet, which orbits a small, red star called Gliese 581, is about one-and-a-half times the diameter of the Earth.

It probably has a substantial atmosphere and may be covered with large amounts of water - necessary for life to evolve - and, most importantly, temperatures are very similar to those on our world.
hype ends

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/...
By netchicken: posted on 25-4-2007

There is good reason to go all hyper about it. ITs not that the scientists are looking for us to set down upon. This is the first time that they have found a planet that is perfect for the formation of water and most the earth like .

The reason these scientists always find planets that are 200 etc times the size of earth is because they measure the wobble in the stars and bigger planets like Jupiter etc create a much greater wobble than a smaller planet like Earth. But from what they have found so far, it gives us a much greater understanding of the universe around us. This shows us that there is a very high possibility of finding Earth like planets with the ability to contain liquid water. And that too 20 light years is nothing comapared to the overall scale of things. If we were to launch today, a probe could reach there in maybe 100 or so years, which is insignificant in the overall scope of things.

The bottom line is, this is the first step towards answering one of the fundamental questions of our existence; finding actual evidence that we are not alone in this universe and that there is, to use the cliche "life out there". Who knows by the end of this century we may very well find a truly habitable planet.
:ufo :ufo
By IAF: posted on 27-4-2007

LOL!
I don't expect to find the answer to my existence by finding the existence of a planet that I have no reason to doubt is out there.
I also see no reson to assume the existence of other life just because of the planet. that is to say, if the Creator wants there to be other life then He can create the planet. Regardless, it has no bearing on my life here or my relationship with Him.
Also, the discovery of that planet doesn't change any of the pressing issues here on this planet!

These things being facts in my mind I have to agree that everyone is getting all "hyper" over this planet! :P
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 27-4-2007

The media are showing us 'pictures' of the planet with oceans and landmasses, making it sound like it is really earth like.

This just isn't true. There is nothing to say that the atmosphere isn't made from poisonous gasses. Or the the 'seas' don't exist, or are of a liquid that is not water as we know it.

The extropolation from what they do know to what they say is so great to make this little more than fiction.

This so called 'earth' planet may have gravity 5X that of earth. Meaning you would be squashed flat if you ventured there.
By netchicken: posted on 27-4-2007

TC, it is not "the" answer, but one of the answers mankind has always asked itself. It is actually likely there is life out there and there is great statistical evidence to support such a hypothesis, creator wants or not. Also the proof of life on other worlds besides our own does have implications on our own society, many of our philosophical positions, especially those that involve faith and our uniqueness in the cosmos do come into question and in the long term would influence our perspective.

... Quote:
Originally posted by netchicken
The extropolation from what they do know to what they say is so great to make this little more than fiction.

This so called 'earth' planet may have gravity 5X that of earth. Meaning you would be squashed flat if you ventured there.

Though it might not be some place where we can move in quickly, it does indicate that there are in all probability thousands upon thousands of similar planets out there. The scientific papers out there claim this only "Earth like" in that it has ideal temperature to support life. Neither the density nor the composition of the planet is known. So you could say that they are premature, yet the fact still remains that the planet is the first to be found with such a suitable temperature. From what we know now, the presence of water or water vapour is found in some quantities in a large percentage of planets and moons. So it would be safe the deduce that given the planets temperature range there could very well be water in liquid form.

Also despite having a gravity 5 times that of Earth, it doesnt rule out that there could be life there, even if we cannot tolerate it. There are deep sea fish that withstand pressures much greater than 5G and it would be possible for human beings with some conditioning to survive without any artificial systems IF the planet is habitable.

... Quote:

Claim: " is only 1.5 times larger and five times more massive than Earth, making it the smallest extra-solar planet yet found."
Reality. Gee wizz. So its a huge planet that in all liklihood would kill us if we tried to land there because of the gravity.

The other points may be left to speculation but this isnt really true. We can land on a planet with 5 times more gravity and our bodies could also sustain that. We would not die if gravity was the only problem.
... Quote:

Further points:
The sun is a red dwarf, even if life could exist because of the temperature, just what would happen to the basis of all life on our world photosynthisis? Does a red dwarf give off the same light, in the same ranges as our sun?

No, you see the planet's orbit is so close to the sun that if it were normal it would burn all life on the planet to a crisp. It being a red dwarf is the main reason the planet's temperature is from 0-40 C . And besides this the red dwarf would give light is all the frequencies as a normal star would with the exception that the proportion of light would be different. The sunlight from a red dwarf would be just as bright to this planet or slightly less given its orbit. There wouldn't be any "gloom".

But there are other difficulties like Solar radiation, cosmic rays, solar flares etc that could be detrimental to the planet's chances of having life since it is so close to its sun. But were it to have a thick ozone layer and a strong magnetic field , it may be able to withstand all these effects.

... Quote:

This does not lead any more credence to life on other planets than there was before

How would this be true, if previously we have never found ANY planets within a "safe" orbit or those that werent huge gas giants?

Finding a planet within this "safe" zone so close does give Astronomers the ability to predict that there could be many more out there which we cant detect with our instruments from here.

How? That's easy; the universe is an extremely big place and to not have found a class M planet doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of them. One doesn't have to prove to me that a tree makes a sound when it falls even if I am not there to hear it.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I am interested in the fact that they found this planet. It's just that I don't see it as being that important. On the other hand, CommanderKeenKid is probably doing back flips right now!:guy

... Quote:
Originally posted by Thomas_Crowne
How? That's easy; the universe is an extremely big place and to not have found a class M planet doesn't mean that there aren't plenty of them. One doesn't have to prove to me that a tree makes a sound when it falls even if I am not there to hear it.

Class 'what' planet??? :o:o Well quite the Trekie arent you ??:sp

True, this is NOT like "Man on the Moon" but it is pretty cool that they found something with even the remotest 'possibility' of holding life than nothing at all.

I am quite sure Miss Engle in 6th grade science class taught me that.

And, yes, I was quite the Trekkie. I loved all the hawt female aliens!

New planet found media get all hyper about it | [Login ]