Marine saves two drowning boys, but drowns in the process

Home » Current events and news » Marine saves two drowning boys, but drowns in the process

Marine saves two drowning boys, but drowns in the process

What can you say but Semper Fi.

... Quote:
Master Sgt. Michael Wert, an intelligence chief for the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing at Cherry Point in Havelock, N.C., was vacationing this past weekend with his family at the beach when he saw two boys struggling in the surf, the Marines said in a statement.

His wife, Debbie, said her husband rushed into the water to help while she went to call 911. Their daughter, Katrina, grabbed a boogie board and followed Wert, a Michigan native, into the water.

"She managed to help the boys onto the board, but didn't see her dad with them," Debbie Wert said in the statement. "The one little boy told her (Michael Wert) had to let them go and had died."

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,270832,00.html
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 9-5-2007

No good deed goes unpunished :(
By Venus: posted on 10-5-2007

Huh? He died in the surf ? I dont get it. He might have struggled to get the boys ashore but how did he drown ? He's a marine!
By IAF: posted on 10-5-2007

Maybe he wasn't an aquatic marine :)

Still its a sad story, there are often things like that happening, like the guy who jumped in to save his dog and drowned. The dog got out.
By netchicken: posted on 10-5-2007

Destiny?
By Venus: posted on 10-5-2007

Another child without a 'natural' parent.
By IAF: posted on 10-5-2007

Why did the boy mention Michael Wert had to let them go and had died?

Did they do an autopsy or just assumed he drowned? The boys comments make me feel like
He knew he had a problem and let go of them and died before their very eyes, two which doesnít
Make me feel he just merely drowned.
Perhaps he wasnít a good swimmer or a rip got him either way itís sad to see someone do a good
deed only to tragically die in the process. :(
By Shan: posted on 17-5-2007

Marine saves two drowning boys, but drowns in the process | [Login ]