Flight of the Ospreys

Home » Amazing Pictures » Flight of the Ospreys
More Amazing Pictures

Flight of the Ospreys

What unusual looking aircraft!
Like something out of a transformers movie.

Air Force CV-22 Ospreys take off from a Kirtland Air Force Base, N.M. May 1 for a training mission.

The Osprey is a tiltrotor aircraft that combines vertical takeoff, hover and landing qualities of a helicopter with the normal flight characteristics of a turboprop aircraft. (U.S. Air Force photo/Staff Sgt. Markus Maier)

ospreys.jpg - 200.88kb
By netchicken: posted on 19-5-2007

Ospreys are actually pretty cool aircraft. The USMC has a bunch to ferry their troops around. Maybe the USAF also has a couple but none of the other militaries use it for some odd reason. I imagine if they did work on it more they could make a bigger version for battlefield operations. It would be faster than a helicopter and also offer a longer range. I guess the high maintenance due to so many moving parts is what keeps people away from it.

Cool pic anyways.
By IAF: posted on 21-5-2007

Yeah I thought it was a good pic also.

Musn't there be a point when the motors are turning horozontal when there is no lift, and little forward thrust?

Its a very practical idea for planes, I would think they would be good for aircraft carriers.

I wonder if you can use jets instead of propellers?
By netchicken: posted on 21-5-2007

Yeah, theoretically it is quite reasonable to have the same capability as a turboprop with a jet engine and I think given enough emphasis they would be able to do it. But in order to do so they would need to miniaturize existing turbojets to place them on the wings. IF they could do that then this type of transport would seriously take off. (No pun intended!) Because jet engines are more reliable and have lesser moving parts when compared to a propeller engine. Also they are more thermodynamically efficient when compared to the standard turbo prop engines put on these planes. Having the engines more efficient and more reliable would pretty much rule out all the qualms they have about the design right now. I guess there isnt much motivation form the military industrial complex to throw adequate funding its way. Plus not to mention that it would seriously damage Bell and Sikorsky's bottom lines. Its all economics in the end. :ba
By IAF: posted on 22-5-2007

Flight of the Ospreys | [Login ]