Military Toyotas in Afghanistan - pics

Home » Military Technology / Videos » Military Toyotas in Afghanistan - pics
More Military Articles

Military Toyotas in Afghanistan - pics

Toyota USA gave a 100 tacomas to the military to use without covering the badges. Sales of Toyota Tacomas surged as a result :)

I think we call them Hilux or Surf in our part of the world. Not much sense calling them Surf in Afghanistan because of a lack of water, but everywhere is the beach :)

From here and here

toyotatacomav627ki.jpg - 61.19kb
By netchicken: posted on 23-5-2007

More military toyota pictures

Quote from the thread
... Quote:
One of the reasons that the SF drives civilian trucks is to disquise the fact that they are coalition soldiers. The local militias and warlords use trucks like the toyotas also.

When they where driving HUMVEE's with loud exhaust and .50s they were easy to spot, and word of them would beat them to an objective. It's the same reason they grow beards and don't wear uniforms.

The book "Hunting Al-Qaeda" is where I heard most of this stuff this picture is actually from the author who refuses to ID himself. They are former U.S. SF that were in the guard.

Militarytacorandy2.jpg - 79.39kb

Yet more military toyotas in Afghanistan

toyotatacomav65ed.jpg - 76.11kb

Kiwis in Afghanistan using a Toyota.

It looks like a journalist is there as well on the far right

toyota-kiwis.jpg - 50.08kb

Another Kiwi photo. The gunners seat looks pretty comfortable.

toyota-kiwi.jpg - 63.96kb

Yet another, the sticker on the seat is for a loacl radio station :)

More photos of this series are here

dsc00619kw7.jpg - 62.99kb

Nice landscape, great pictures of kiwis in Afghanistan

kelligonx1ce3.jpg - 59.07kb

One question: How can you make out which ones are Kiwi SF and which ones are not ? They all pretty much look the same dont they ?
By IAF: posted on 23-5-2007

In the thread on the site the pics are from the poster, who must have been a special forces person there.

That sitcker on the seat, 2 pics up is for a national radio station in NZ, instantly recognisable for any Kiwi.

But they seemed in the thread, to have picked the kiwi thing up from the uniforms and the weapons.

not sure if they are SF, as they don't usually carry the steyr on operations, and they look clean shaven, and don't have the "Rock" radio station logo displayed.
By ltw5: posted on 19-12-2008

These SF have really only one thing consistent about them, and that's that they are armed to the teeth. If operating in country they may dress in just about anything you can imagine, but will always have military I.D. (with one interesting exception). Cross border raids are another gambit altogether. Uniforms are not tagged in anyway, and are not U.S. milspec stuff. Weapons vary all over the place, and a lot of that depends on how deep and where your visiting. Those guys rarely had I.D. on them.

Those guys in Afganistan stand out as somebody completely different no matter what they wear or use as a weapon. I've suspected that U.S.S.F. go with beards a lot because it's a tribal custom, and being as they're in a covert mode they will mingle and virtually live with the locals. SEAL teams have been known to wear beards and used about everykind of weapon you could imagine. Lastly you cannot wear the uniform of the guys your fighting against and still be treated as a military person if your caught. But it's often done anyway. And "the exception" wears whatever fits the bill on that day.
By mg.mikael: posted on 14-3-2009

What on earth is this on the back of that truck, its huge!

Is that a Toyota ?

From http://www.militaryphotos.n...

truck-afghanastan.jpg - 55.61kb
By netchicken: posted on 8-9-2009

... Quote:
Originally posted by netchicken
What on earth is this on the back of that truck, its huge!

Is that a Toyota ?

From http://www.militaryphotos.n...

Nah, it's a Dodge Ram. However I can't tell what military forces are operating the vehicle(don't seem to be American.) As for the anti-air gun in the back(can also be used against soft ground targets) it seems to be a ZPU-4 thats been modified to go on the back of a pickup.

http://images.military.com/EQGpics/EQG_zpu4_1.jpg
By mg.mikael: posted on 9-9-2009

Here's another one a Czech Toyota in South Afghanistan

Czech-toyota.jpg - 40.9kb
By netchicken: posted on 11-9-2009

Military Toyotas in Afghanistan - pics | [Login ]