Russia a country on the slide

Home » Current events and news » Russia a country on the slide

Russia a country on the slide

How can a country be so rich and yet have dreadful health care, a declining population, and a corrupt political system with almost no opposition?

The Volga runs through the city of Tver and continues southward to Yaroslav, Nizhniy Novgorod, Saratov, Volgograd (former Stalingrad), and Astrachan, where it enters the Caspian Sea.

One small town in the region, Kostinovo, has found its way into the papers because it now has just one inhabitant, Antonina Makarova, age seventy-eight. Her nearest neighbor, Maria Belkova, lives in the next town, which has a population of two.

As reported in the St. Petersburg Times of October 2006 by Kim Murphy, the number of inhabitants in the region has decreased by about 250,000 since 1989, and deaths exceed births by two to one. Kostinovo is one of the 1,400 towns in the Tver region that have been officially declared “depopulated” (nezhiloe).

Russia is one of the few countries in the world where life expectancy is declining; young people between the ages of fifteen and twenty-eight have the highest mortality rate in Europe.

In the 1980s, citizens of the Soviet Union had the same life expectancy as citizens of the United States. Today, the Russian male lives on average to an age of fifty-nine, sixteen years less than his U.S. counterpart.

About ten million Russians are sterile as a result of bad health or abortions that went wrong. According to the Academy of Medical Sciences, 45 percent of newborns have a disease or a congenital birth defect.

more on the site, a good read

http://dissentmagazine.org/...
By netchicken: posted on 3-7-2007

Thats a good way to develop the standard of "living". By having fewer living people each year. You can pass of meger resources more equitably and thereby provide more for everybody. Too bad Stalin didnt think of this!:ws
By IAF: posted on 3-7-2007

Guess, after Europe been populated and Russia is virtually rebuilt people will see a migration from the thirdworl to Russia.
By IAF: posted on 3-7-2007

... Quote:
Originally posted by IAF
Guess, after Europe been populated and Russia is virtually rebuilt people will see a migration from the thirdworl to Russia.

Really odd.

We here in the US have it all wrong as the population is not growing enough to support the people living into longevity - oh what's my point?

Anyway, currently working in Property Management in Florida and this week we had a run of Russians pawning their grandmothers off onto Section 8 housing. I mean since when did Russians start coming here and then taking their 80 year old mothers/grandmothers who speak no English at all and start farming them out to government funded housing?

What's that all about?

I could just cry over it if I really thought that was going on, but there were too many of them for me not to think it was something else altogether - what - I haven't got a clue. *twitch*
By MELtdown: posted on 20-8-2007

Russia a country on the slide | [Login ]