70 year old woman beaten by police for not watering her lawn

Home » Bizarre world » 70 year old woman beaten by police for not watering her lawn

70 year old woman beaten by police for not watering her lawn

And so every area of your life will be monitored, and all social rules will be enforced.

A 70-year-old US woman has been left bruised and bloody after an unexpected clash with police who came to arrest her because her lawn was dry and brown.

Trouble flared when Utah pensioner Betty Perry, 70, refused to give her name to an officer trying to caution her for not watering her lawn.

She says the officer hit her with handcuffs, cutting her nose, although police insist she slipped and fell.

Ms Perry said she was "distraught" after the incident.

She denied that she was resisting arrest, maintaining that she turned to go inside to call her son to fix the confusing dispute.
... Quote:
I tried to sit down and get away from him.

I don't know what he's doing. I said: 'What are you doing?' And he hit me with those handcuffs in my face. He's just trying to cover his tracks, as far as I'm concerned.
The officer had judged that Ms Perry's "sadly neglected and dying landscape" breached an Orem city guideline and was attempting to issue a formal caution when the 70-year-old was injured.

She was treated in a local hospital for the cut to her nose and for other bruises before being taken to jail.

But she was let go when police realised there were "other ways" of finding out her identity without taking her to jail, a police spokesman said.

The arresting officer has not been named but has been placed on administrative leave, he added.

Ms Perry, who says she has never had a run-in with police in the past, has been offered help by local church leaders to clean up her garden.
... Quote:
I'm very distraught over all this. I can't believe this happened. Do you ever just wish you could start your day over and it would all be different?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/...
By netchicken: posted on 9-7-2007

It's about time the cops got tough on criminals.
I wish the cops around here would see how it's done and try it themselves as the old lady next door never mows the lawn. I'll bet one good crack on the head with the night stick would get her four-legged walker motivated in the direction of her push mower in a timely manner!
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 9-7-2007

Darn it, you are absolutely right TC!

How could I have missed it. That old guy down the road still hasn't trimmed his roses from last year. I might go down there and threaten to kneecap him unless he gets gardening immediatly.
By netchicken: posted on 10-7-2007

Wow, you can do that?

We aren't allowed to do that in the U.S.; only the cops can violate another person's liberties. Well, as long as there are no video cameras running.
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 10-7-2007

Looks like the case has finally gone to court.

OREM, Utah - A 70-year-old woman arrested in a dispute over her brown lawn pleaded not guilty Tuesday, then stood by as a Los Angeles lawyer waved handcuffs for the cameras outside court.
... Quote:
I ask the citizens of Orem:

How many of you would like to have your great-grandmother taken from her home with bruises and blood and placed in handcuffs for failing to water her lawn?

Let's bring sanity back to law enforcement.
attorney Gloria Allred said

Betty Perry is charged with resisting arrest and failing to maintain her landscaping, both misdemeanors. She was arrested July 6 after failing to give her name to a police officer who visited her home.

During a struggle, Perry fell and injured her nose. She spent more than an hour in a holding cell before police released her.

The mayor and City Council apologized, and the police department said the situation could have been handled differently. But the city attorney still is pressing charges, and Perry is due back in court next month.

A state investigation found that Officer James Flygare acted properly in arresting Perry after trying to get her to cooperate.

Perry's water had been turned off for about nine months, at her request, although she was living at the house at the time of the arrest. Orem has a shut-off policy for people who are away for extended periods.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/...
By netchicken: posted on 19-9-2007

70 year old woman beaten by police for not watering her lawn | [Login ]