A photo released Saturday in Seoul via Yonhap News Agency
shows South Korean Christians posing for a group photograph before leaving for Afghanistan on July 13. (Yonhap/Reuters)
posted on 26-7-2007
Afghan police discovered the bullet-riddled body of a South Korean hostage Wednesday as the Taliban reportedly released eight other abductees who were
taken to a U.S. military base, officials said.
Because of a recent spike in kidnappings — including an attempt against a Danish citizen Wednesday — Kabul police announced foreigners
were no longer allowed to leave the Afghan capital without police permission.
The male South Korean victim was found with 10 bullet holes in his head, chest and stomach in the Mushaki area of Qarabagh district in Ghazni
province, the region where 23 South Koreans were kidnapped last week, said Abdul Rahman, a police officer.
A police official who asked not to be identified because of the sensitivity of the situation said militants told him the hostage was sick and
couldn't walk and was therefore shot.
Two Western officials said some of the 23 hostages had been released. One of the officials, who asked not to be identified because he wasn't
authorized to share the information, said six females and two males had been taken to the main U.S. base in Ghazni.