The great blue dive hole at Lighthouse Reef

Home » Bizarre world » The great blue dive hole at Lighthouse Reef

The great blue dive hole at Lighthouse Reef

About 60 miles from Belize City, there is a perfectly circular 1,000 (305 m) feet across and 400 feet (123 m) wide "Blue Hole." The hole, part of the Lighthouse Reef system, was once an opening to a cave system during the Ice Age - it is now a magnet for extreme divers:

... Quote:
For all the practical purposes the over 400-foot depth makes the Blue Hole a bottomless pit.

The walls are sheer from the surface until a depth of approximately 110 feet where you will begin to encounter stalactite formtions which actually angle back, allowing you to dive underneath monstrous overhangs.

Hovering amongst the stalactites, you can’t help but feel humbled by the knowledge that the massive formation before you once stood high and dry above the surface of the sea eons ago.

http://ambergriscaye.com/pa...

belize-blue-hole.jpg - 54.31kb
By netchicken: posted on 26-7-2007

Belize is on my dream list and the Blue Dive Hole is a specific, reason being obvious.
Reading the article you can see why I won't be diving it until I have a lot more experience and a some more classes.

Get trained, Netty, and let's plan on meeting there in a few years!
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 27-7-2007

You jump in I'll thrown in a fishing line :)

I gather there are heaps of sharks in the pool, but they are very placid.
By netchicken: posted on 27-7-2007

Bulls are not at all placid, reef sharks are high strung. Hammerheads aren't a really big threat.
Thing about divers is that they do not look like food, nor do they smell or move like food. They are oddities to underwater life. Surfers and swimmers are much more likely to get popped by a shark as from below the swimmer or surfer looks like food to the shark. Another thing that makes it less likely that a diver would get popped is clear water. Bulls, for example, have lousy vision. The clearer the water the easier it is for him to realize the diver is not a seal or something.

Wildlife is the least of my concerns about diving. Doing something stupid that would cause me to have to try and breathe water is more of a fear, as is getting turned around and lost. Those are more dreadful to me. After all, when you get right down to it, I don't have to out-swim the shark, only the other folks with whom I am diving. :tu
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 28-7-2007

The great blue dive hole at Lighthouse Reef | [Login ]