American woman has a brain injury and begins to speak in British accent

Home » Bizarre world » American woman has a brain injury and begins to speak in British accent

American woman has a brain injury and begins to speak in British accent

This is like the beginning to a bad joke. What happens to an American who has a brain injury? They become British!

An American woman has been left with a British accent after having a stroke.

This is despite the fact that Tiffany Roberts, 61, has never been to Britain. Her accent is a mixture of English cockney and West Country.

Doctors say Mrs Roberts, who was born and bred in Indiana, has a condition called foreign accent syndrome.

This rare condition occurs when part of the brain becomes damaged. This can follow a stroke or head injury. There have only been a few documented cases.

Mrs Roberts discovered she had a British accent after recovering her voice following a stroke in 1999.

... Quote:
When people first started asking me where in England I was from and a family member asked why am I talking that way, that is when I became very conscious that a part of me had died during the stroke,
she said.

Four years on, she still struggles to convince people that she is a born and bred American.

... Quote:
People in America accuse me of lying when I say I was born in Indiana. They would say 'What are you saying that for? Where in England are you from?' I would insist that I am not.

More on the link :frog:frog:frog
 http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/...
By netchicken: posted on 4-8-2007

That's too funny.....but explains something I have always thought....those with british accents have something wrong with their heads (add smiley here - mine arent workin)
By Venus: posted on 5-8-2007

American woman has a brain injury and begins to speak in British accent | [Login ]