Chinese clothing found to have poisonous levels of formaldehyde

Home » World events & politics » Chinese clothing found to have poisonous levels of formaldehyde

Chinese clothing found to have poisonous levels of formaldehyde

Chinese products get hit again, now your clothing can be poisonous.

Scientists have found formaldehyde in woollen and cotton clothes at levels 500 times higher than is safe.

International research supported by the World Health Organisation shows exposure to formaldehyde in concentrations of 20 parts per million (ppm) can cause eye, skin and nasal irritations, respiratory problems, asthma and cancer.

The European Union limits formaldehyde residues in children's clothes to a maximum of 30ppm. The chemical is used to give a permanent press effect to clothes.

Target producer Simon Roy said a variety of new clothes were tested, including a girl's top, school shorts, a Spiderman T-shirt, and pyjamas.

Adult clothing was also tested. Roy said the results were so astounding the AgriQuality scientists thought they had made a mistake.
... Quote:
Our results were shocking, ranging from 230ppm to 18,000ppm.

This is almost unbelieveable. Some of the clothes tested have a reading 900 times the level that actually causes harm.
But the potential harm wasn't limited to formaldehyde or clothing made in China.

Four children's garments were tested for their ph level, which measures acidity or alkalinity. Levels outside 4 to 7.5 on the scale can damage skin.

Two items, a pair of pants and a girl's top, had ph levels above 7.5.

Europe had banned 22 aromatic amine dyes which were known carcinogens. But investigations showed 10% of clothes tested in China contained them.

Much more on the site
 http://stuff.co.nz/sundayst...
By netchicken: posted on 19-8-2007

First they poisoned my dog.
Then they fed me putrid fish from polluted bodies of water.
Next they laced my favorite toy with lead.
NOW they are poisoning me through my shirts?

Pardon me if I start getting a little paranoid. I'd stop buying Chinese-made crap if WalMart gave us a choice. :worm
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 19-8-2007

LOL

Its becomming a big thing here, the public are forcing suppliers to put country of origin on their foodstuffs. Its becoming a people led revolution.

China is really taking some heat. For example my favorite peanut butter was found to have come from Chinese peanuts, instead of the usual Australian ones because they were cheaper.

Once people found out the company said it will sell 2 types of peanut butter, one from china and one from Australia, I know which one I will purchase.

Also one huge supermaket chain will show the source of all fresh vegetables on their shelves so people can choose.

In some ways its really crazy, here we are with strict environmental controls, and we let in all these goods and foodstuffs that are poisoning us.

I just wonder how the chinese people themselves cope with their products if we get the best of the best.
By netchicken: posted on 20-8-2007

Chinese clothing found to have poisonous levels of formaldehyde | [Login ]