What countries have the most democracy?

Home » World events & politics » What countries have the most democracy?

What countries have the most democracy?

Almost half of the world's countries can be considered democracies, but only 28 qualify as “full democracies”

The Economist Intelligence Unit’s Democracy index is based on five categories: electoral process and pluralism; civil liberties; the functioning of government; political participation; and political culture.

The condition of having free and fair competitive elections, and satisfying related aspects of political freedom, is clearly the basic requirement of all definitions.

From the Economist magazine. http://www.economist.com/ma...

The USA came in at #17, just after Spain and one point ahead of the Czech Republic

The UK at 23 and France at 24 were only 3 points from the cut off line for full democracies.

Here is a pdf of all countries
 http://www.economist.com/me...

Democracy.jpg - 43.69kb
By netchicken: posted on 4-9-2007

I think this study is pretty bogus. First of all, how do you compare democractic contries when the systems and indeed the preceptions of democracy vary in each part of the world. Like say in America, it would be seen as draconian to have a "king/queen" as head of state. Only an elected representative would be considered to be truly representative. Plus, when you take a Nordic country with a small highly educated populations, you cant compare the type and form of democracy there to say democracy in India or in some other third world nation where the pressures are different, the systems balanced in a totally different way to meet local sensibilities. Also the concept of an electoral college would not fit in well with parliamentary democracies who elect their representative directly. And countries like Switzerland which embrace direct democracy will have pressures of their own, you cant expect a "political culture" in such a system to say something like the the US political culture.

Now, if you were to take say the Swedish system and try to replicate it exactly in a third world country like India, it wouldnt work. The pressures there are more "mob" based than say the individualistic concerns in a developed Nordic state. I think there can be a comparision of democracies but they way they have done it here is an immature analysis and a flawed one at best.
By IAF: posted on 5-9-2007

I disagree. Firstly the Economist is a reputable internatational magazine. they arn't going to produce bogus statistics, their reputation is at stake.

The stats are based on 5 catagores
... Quote:
The Economist Intelligence Unit’s Democracy index is based on five categories:
electoral process and pluralism;
civil liberties;
the functioning of government;
political participation;
and political culture.

Those 5 catagories seem to be pretty universal in determining a democracy.
By netchicken: posted on 5-9-2007

What countries have the most democracy? | [Login ]