Monkeys cause death of New Delhi Deputy Mayor

Home » Bizarre world » Monkeys cause death of New Delhi Deputy Mayor

Monkeys cause death of New Delhi Deputy Mayor

Talk about having a monkey on your back!

... Quote:
NEW DELHI Wild monkeys attacked a senior government official who then fell from a balcony at his home and died Sunday, media reported.

New Delhi Deputy Mayor S.S. Bajwa was rushed to a hospital after the attack by a gang of Rhesus macaques, but succumbed to head injuries sustained in his fall, the Press Trust of India news agency and The Times of India reported.

Many government buildings, temples and residential neighborhoods in New Delhi are overrun by Rhesus macaques, which scare passers-by and occasionally bite or snatch food from unsuspecting visitors.

Last year, the Delhi High Court reprimanded city authorities for failing to stop the animals from terrifying residents and asked them to find a permanent solution to the monkey menace.

Part of the problem is that devout Hindus believe monkeys are manifestations of the monkey god Hanuman and feed them bananas and peanuts encouraging them to frequent public places.

Over the years, city authorities have employed monkey catchers who use langurs a larger and fiercer kind of monkey to scare or catch the macaques, but the problem persists.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,303832,00.html
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 22-10-2007

I think they have the same problem that they have with the cows.

Hopefully they have tidied the cows up in recent years, but when I was there they just wandered around doing what they wanted. If they stopped and sat on the road the traffic just had to go around them.

The problem was, that the culture said cows are sacred and not to kill them or control them, but the animals themselves were far from healthy, eating rubbish and obviously undernourished.

The rule which seemed to be pro cow was in fact leaving them as scavangers in cities they were unprepared for.

I expect the monkeys are the same. Animals so far out of their natural environment to be a menace to themselves and others. Real concern for their welfare would mean they get rounded up and shipped off to a reserve, or even desexed to cut down the breeding numbers.
By netchicken: posted on 22-10-2007

Monkeys cause death of New Delhi Deputy Mayor | [Login ]