A sobering story of the new society...

Home » World events & politics » A sobering story of the new society...

A sobering story of the new society...

A foreign traveller on a train from New York to Boston, is told that he must not take photos out the window because of national security. However his lack of english means he doesn't understand what is happening resulting in his arrest and interrogation.

... worth reading...

http://www.episcopalcafe.co...
By netchicken: posted on 7-11-2007

Here is another one!

New Zealand overstays past his visa for 6 days. When he tries to leave America to Canada he is arrested and imprisoned. He has been in jail now for a month.

http://www.solopassion.com/...

He's out!

http://www.solopassion.com/...

... Quote:
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement are done chewing on me and have spat me out at last.

I've not had the chance to see what kind and unkind things have been said about me while I've been away. Have been told there's a strong lean towards kind but I'll settle accounts in my usual style after a bit of recovery time.

This sums it up....

WASHINGTON (AFP) — The number of foreign visitors to the United States has plummeted since the September 11, 2001 attacks on New York and Washington because foreigners don't feel welcome, tourism professionals said Thursday.
... Quote:
Since September 11, 2001, the United States has experienced a 17 percent decline in overseas travel, costing America 94 billion dollars in lost visitor spending, nearly 200,000 jobs and 16 billion dollars in lost tax revenue.
the Discover America advocacy campaign said in a statement.

Chairman Stevan Porter lamented the "extraordinary decline" in the number of overseas visitors to the United States, while the advocacy group's executive director, Geoff Freeman, blamed the slump on the shabby welcome many foreigners feel they get in the United States.

... Quote:
It's clear what's keeping people away in the post-9/11 environment: it is the perception around the world that travelers aren't welcome.

Travelers around the world feel the US entry experience is among the world's worst
Freeman said, calling on the US government to work with the private sector to make visa acquisition more efficient, the entry process traveler-friendly, and to improve communication.

The head of the Travel Industry Association, Roger Dow, at a recent briefing for reporters also stressed the importance "of the welcome we issue to people.
... Quote:
What affects travel and tourism affects our economy and our image around the world. Travel and tourism is the face of America, whether it's people coming here or Americans going elsewhere.

It's the person coming from India to look at a company in America for parts, or a person from South America who can't get into the country for a conference because he can't get a visa.
Dow said.

The Discover America Partnership was set up by US business leaders last year to try to redress the flagging image of the United States through a campaign of public diplomacy, waged equally by the government, business and public.

... Quote:
The greatest public diplomacy tool America has is her people. Those who have visited the US and interacted with the American people consistently feel more positive about the US than those who have not visited.
the advocacy group says on its website, citing the Global Attitudes Project of the Pew Research Center, a think tank based in Washington.

"The United States has to do what every other nation in the world does, and that is to promote itself to visitors," Freeman said.

"Looking to 2010, the Department of Commerce is projecting an increase in those numbers, but only of one percent over the course of 10 years.

"If I ran a business that had one percent growth in 10 years, I'd be fired," Freeman said.

http://afp.google.com/artic...

I have to throw the BS flag on the play, in regard to the NY to Boston story. That sounds totally fabricated, for several reasons.
I'm no big fan of cops, as a matter of fact, anyone who knows me will tell you that it is my opinion they use the constitution to wipe donut crumbs from their mouths, but they aren't that stupid and you can rest assured they've been thoroughly trained in regard to terror-activities in the last few years.

Someone even posted a response in the article:

... Quote:
I frequently ride the train between Baltimore and NYC and take many pictures, often while sitting and talking with the conductor in the cafe car! This is obsurd. It is not illegal to take pictures on or out of the train. Over-zealous condutor at minimum.

Other posters say that the conductor was wrong, others say it is a travesty, but NONE of them take note in that there is no link to a news article or anything to suggest this is a real event, though one person was so enraged she wrote Amtrack a letter and got a response that said there are no rules that restrict photography. No rules restricting photography, they said. That they had to state that is absurd and shows how paranoid everyone is. Of course there are no rules restricting photography! It is a train, travelling from New York to Boston. Think about it.

This is just another story begging Snopes to debunk it. Silly people buy it without putting any brain-time to it.
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 8-11-2007

I dont know about the trains but the Amtrak from NY to places like DC or Philly you are allowed to take pictures. There is no national security thing on the trains. They dont even frisk you ever or ask you to take your bags through a screener etc.

To get into some office buildings you need to get your bags screened but not trains. Thats the weird part.
By IAF: posted on 8-11-2007

Know what I think? I think the story is to put us in as bad a light as possible in the attempt to lend credibility to the image people want to have of America.
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 8-11-2007

Photographer confronted by transit employee after taking picture of station

Here is another one in the same vein...

... Quote:
And then I got stopped. But not by a police officer, but a conductor, for this photo.

I had a talk with him. He explained that "photography is illegal" and thought I was a terrorist "scoping out the system". ("Dum-Dum-Dum")

I kindly disagreed with him, ("Are you sure? The rules say it's allowed.") and read out and gave him my copy of the New York City Transit Rules of Conduct ("Photography is..."). After reading 1059C, he repeated "Photography is illegal". After one last try ("Did someone tell you that?"), he still wasn't budging ("Ask a cop, see what they tell you."). I gave up ("I sure will.") and got on the train.

The main idea here, the rules of conduct seem to be useless now.

From http://www.subchat.com/read...

More articles on the War on photography
 http://nycphotorights.com/w...

Here is the offending picture

illegal-photography.jpg - 35.81kb
By netchicken: posted on 10-11-2007

A sobering story of the new society... | [Login ]