What are these? - bombs? - Sea mines?

Home » World History » What are these? - bombs? - Sea mines?
More History Articles

What are these? - bombs? - Sea mines?

Here is a facinating picture, It may be of Japanese sea mines all stacked for use. Then again it may not. No one seems to know for sure.

Maybe they are just a form of wall structure..

Here is a link to the image

Here is a link to the reddit comments who don't seem to have any more ideas either :)

bombs1.jpg - 37.26kb
By netchicken: posted on 15-11-2007

Interesting photo; it "says" something. I looked around to see what these might be. I found a picture of a Japanese Type 93 mine that is close but not exact. Most likely marine mines to my way of thinking... there are other possibilities.

I have seen navigation buoys in storage for the winter in some parts of the Great Lakes that are basically round spheres with a 6 or 8 foot tall superstructure of steel tube that fastens to the topside for the nav lights. They are about 10 feet in diameter and are painted white and red. Some are larger.

I think netchicken has it as close to correct as one can get without the provenance of the photo - sea mine. A link to the mine photos I found,

http://home.earthlink.net/~portorfordlifeboatstation/article10.html

AccessGranted
By AccessGranted: posted on 8-1-2008

To me they look like they are made out of concrete, there doesn't seem to be the detonators on them that are in your great pics.

http://home.earthlink.net/~portorfordlifeboatstation/mine2.jpg

But the question remains, why so high walls, and why patrolled by a soldier?

Maybe its a form of canal that is to be filled with water?

Its a curious picture.
By netchicken: posted on 8-1-2008

They are actually incubator-type objets that they are putting their kids/babies in. They are going to complete war and when they have exterminated all of the humans on Earth the kids shall emerge from their casings, grown, with a computer of information about the past and how they won the war!
By dnavarre: posted on 24-2-2008

Giant human eggs!!!

What a dastardly idea dnavarre ;););)
By netchicken: posted on 24-2-2008

I think they could be the bouys for old WW2 sub nets?
By tastycakes: posted on 13-1-2011

What are these? - bombs? - Sea mines? | [Login ]