National Service too much to ask of Israeli Arabs

Home » Middle East conflict » National Service too much to ask of Israeli Arabs

National Service too much to ask of Israeli Arabs

... Quote:
Israeli Arabs will never agree to do national service for the State of Israel because it would call into question their loyalty to the Palestinian cause, the founder of Israel's Islamic Movement, Sheikh Abdullah Nimr Darwish, said in an interview with The Jerusalem Post on Sunday.

East Jerusalem Arabs near the Old City's Damascus gate. [file]
Photo: Ariel Jerozolimski
"Any type of national service, no matter what it is, would be perceived by the Palestinian people as military service," said Darwish, speaking at his home in Kafr Kasim.

So, let's see, Arab-Israelis are not expected to serve compulsory military time as the Jews are to do, yet national service of other sorts is too much to ask?

What services is it that they can't do lest be considered enemies to the "Palestinian People"?

... Quote:
Arabs youths who are exempt from military service are asked to volunteer in hospitals, community centers, drug rehabilitation centers, schools clinics or any other charity services.

So, if these people who are Israeli citizens were to do their patriotic part by working in a drug rehab center or a hospital they'd be enemies to the "Palestinian people"? Let's see, and these people are Israeli citizens?

... Quote:
"To prove his loyalty to the Palestinian cause, he would be forced to join the Palestinian resistance movement against Israel. I do not allow my young people to enlist in organizations that fight for the Palestinian cause. But do not expect me to allow them to join the Israeli cause," added Darwish, who heads what is considered to be the more moderate southern wing of the Islamic Movement, created in the late 1990s.

The Northern wing is headed by Sheikh Raid Salah of Umm al-Fahm who, unlike Darwish, opposes participating in national elections for the Knesset.

The "Israeli" cause? They live in Israel, are Israeli citizens, but do not feel part of the "Israeli cause"?
Interesting how it is they feel they have the right to vote or to participate in any other art of the Israeli existence but don't feel they should serve in any way.

Notice, the only way they feel they should serve in Israel is if ISrael gives up everything they took in their defensive war of 67, including Jerusalem, and make the Arab-Palestinians a separate state. Then, they will participate in Israel's affairs? Anyone see what that means?
Stop and think about their topsy-turvy way of thinking and speaking.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1196847355717&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 17-12-2007

Its a difficult one, I roomed with a Druzi arab for a while, they try to live independantly from the regional conflicts as they have relatives in most of the surounding countries.

Many of the other arabs live on a knife edge like that.
By netchicken: posted on 17-12-2007

I understand, but they aren't being asked to serve in the military. The Israeli government understands better than ask the Arabs to fight against Arabs, although Arabs will fight Arabs for any other reason.
This is the point of the activity, or non-activity, I should say:

... Quote:
Nevertheless, Darwish said that it would be impossible for Israeli Arabs to do national service until Israel agreed to give the Palestinian people a state that included all land conquered by Israel in 1967 including east Jerusalem as its capital.

They aren't acting as Israelis. As a matter of fact, they are acting on behalf of those who wish to destroy Israel.
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 18-12-2007

National Service too much to ask of Israeli Arabs | [Login ]