Canadian Sniper in Afghanistan

Home » Military Technology / Videos » Canadian Sniper in Afghanistan
More Military Articles

Canadian Sniper in Afghanistan

A Canadian Sniper in Afghanistan outlines a day in the life of an active sniper. Interesting. Imagine waiting in one spot for 96 hours ....

I didn't see anything on their communication equipment, but the trip wires were facinating.

canadian-sniper.jpg - 18.55kb
By netchicken: posted on 8-1-2008

Canadian Corporal Rob Furlong - longest publicly acknowledged kill shot ever with a TAC – 50 in OP ANACONDA Mar. 2 – 11 of 2002. Some accolades are public and some Sub-Rosa… CDN Governor General’s “Mention In Dispatches”, Awarded the US Bronze Star, media poster boy and soon to be a politician (if rumors be true). There are “some” (not many) that dispute this claim even within currently serving Princess Pat’s. The full story is not yet known. Neither is the story of JTF-2 activities.

I am sure there are even some who would claim his “history” as at least part fiction. I am surprised at how many MSM public mentions Furlong is receiving recently along with other favorable “news” in Canadian media… all at a time when Canada is re-assessing it’s involvement in the Afghanistan NATO OP’s as 2009 approaches and public opinion of the debate is decidedly “wavering”.

I’ve talked personally with a half-dozen returning services people. The talk about life inside and outside “the wire” and how not all is “happy camping” internally. All had philosophical and ethical reservations about “the mission”. None are re-upping and one (a lifer from a family of lifers) is just plain quitting.

I can’t say for sure but at least one is suffering from re-integration problems and complains of treatment and help from DND as “paperwork” only and shrinks telling people “to suck it up” and take their meds. “Suck it up” works in-country but at home in a major metropolitan city it just doesn’t cut it. I expect, but would revile troubles beyond what currently exists, to be placed on those who have already served with honour, valor, distinction and meritorious service.

Even the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (a publicly funded national broadcaster and normally – OK-ish) is experiencing some bandwagoneering, and imagineering and has some dramatic “influencers of the public-mind set point” in production and more are being developed. All would seem to favour continued and expanded involvement in that theatre by Canadian military personnel.

For those with an interest there is a pretty well done radio drama (available over the net) called Afghanada that has recently finished it’s current season and is tooling up for expansion… perhaps even a TV drama. A link to the radio show’s homepage: http://www.cbc.ca/afghanada/

I will try and get some links for pods, they are there (I was assured by actress Jenny Wood on New Year’s Eve 2008 who plays the lead role as “Coach”), however they seem to be suppressed or not promoted after broadcast and the servers don’t appear to be searchable at the level where they are stored, however I may be mistaken or not well versed enough to find the links.

Thanks for posting the Furlong vid netchicken.

There is a lesser-known interview that was done with the CBC that was not aired at all in 2004. I have not seen it but discrepancies were described to me by an editor that were “less than flattering.”

AccessGranted
By AccessGranted: posted on 9-1-2008

Here is an article on Furlongs longest sniper hit at 2430kms.

Lying low beside the rifle, his stomach touching the ground, Cpl. Rob Furlong concentrated hard on his breathing. In, out. In, out. In, out. Deep, but not too deep. Slow, but not too slow.

The tiniest twitch -- a heavy exhale, perhaps, or a breath held one second too long -- could jerk his weapon ever so slightly, turning a sure hit into a narrow miss. In the sniping world, where one shot should always equal one kill, steady breathing is just as crucial as steady aim.

On that March afternoon in 2002, Cpl. Furlong squinted through the scope of his McMillan Tac-50, a sleek bolt-action rifle almost as long as he is. In his crosshairs were three men, each lugging weapons toward an al-Qaeda mortar nest high in the mountains of eastern Afghanistan.

Master Cpl. Tim McMeekin, hunkered behind his fellow sniper, saw the same trio through the lens of his Vector, a binocular-like device that uses a laser to pinpoint targets thousands of metres away. Speaking quietly, both soldiers agreed on the obvious: take out the biggest threat first, in this case the man in the middle carrying the RPK machine gun. According to the Vector, he was exactly 2,430 m away -- nearly 2 1/2 kilometres.

A Newfoundland boy with pale blue eyes and a chiselled frame, Furlong adjusted the elevation knob on his scope, the barrel of his gun pointing higher and higher with each turn. He knew the routine, had practised it a thousand times back at the base in Edmonton. The farther away the target, the higher the rifle should point. Wind blowing to the left? Aim slightly right.

Most snipers will tell you it's not much different than a golfer and his caddie lining up a long putt. Calculation. Instinct. And a little bit of luck. "You can teach a certain amount of it," Furlong says. "But there is a large percentage that you must have naturally. A good shooter is born. You can't teach someone to be a good shot if they don't naturally have it."

The 26-year-old stared through the scope, his left finger tickling the trigger. In, out. In, out. Behind him, McMeekin gazed through his Vector, reconfirming the precise distance one last time. "Stand by," Furlong said.

The first shot missed. A second round missed too, but not by much. It pierced the man's backpack. "They had no fear," Furlong recalls of his target. "They didn't run. I guess they've just been engaged so many times."

He immediately reloaded the chamber and lined up his rifle for a third try, checking to make sure his grip was flawless. Furlong knew exactly why that second shot missed; instead of following a perfectly straight line, he had squeezed the trigger a tiny smidgen to one side. Even a fraction of a millimetre can make a huge difference on the other end -- in this case, the difference between a man's knapsack and his heart.

"Stand by," Furlong said again. Another loud pop echoed through the valley, sending a .50-calibre shell -- rocket-shaped, almost as long as a beer bottle -- slicing through the Afghan sky. Four seconds later, it tore into the man's torso, ripping apart his insides.

By that point, Rob Furlong, Tim McMeekin and three other Canadian sharpshooters -- Graham Ragsdale, Arron Perry and Dennis Eason -- had spent nearly a week in the rugged terrain of Afghanistan's Shahikot Valley, reaching out and touching the enemy from distances even they had never trained for.

But that shot was something special. Rob Furlong had just killed another human being from 2,430 m, the rough equivalent of standing at Toronto's CN Tower and hitting a target near Bloor Street. It was -- and still is -- the longest-ever recorded kill by a sniper in combat, surpassing the mark of 2,250 m set by U.S. Marine Gunnery Sgt. Carlos Hathcock during the Vietnam War.

http://www.macleans.ca/cana...
By netchicken: posted on 18-1-2008

reaily reaily good book for you called Sniper One by Stg Dan Mills i have read it twice since getting it its all about his time in iraq defending the outpost in Alah Amarh (Hope i got spelling right) lots of detailed action and events that happend to him and his troop

Extract from Sniper One by Dan Mills
I peeked over the wall's edge to have a look at the building. It was a good job I did.

A gunman was busy climbing over the building's exterior compound wall. In his thirties, he was dressed in the beige coloured dish dash. He had a scruffy dark beard, beady eyes and an AK47 in his left hand. Moving as stealthily as he could, he dropped down into the street and began creeping up towards my Snatch. It was obvious he thought he was about to steal a number on us. Sneak up on Daz and the medics and finish them off. I will always remember the exact expression on his face. It was one of complete and total intent.

Oh really? You think you're a right crafty little sod do you? Well I'm not having any of that.

And that's when I knew I was going to kill someone for the first time.

he also tells of the destruction casued by an american AC-130 gunship (awsome bit of kit)

buy it now !!!

SillySteve
By $illy$teve: posted on 22-1-2008

Canadian Sniper in Afghanistan | [Login ]