Patriot missiles readied at Kadena air base on Japan\'s southern island of Okinawa

Home » Military Technology / Videos » Patriot missiles readied at Kadena air base on Japan's southern island of Okinawa
More Military Articles

Patriot missiles readied at Kadena air base on Japan's southern island of Okinawa

Now this looks serious, why suddenly protecting Kadena with patriots?

Patriot missile systems being assembled by United States army technicians at Kadena air base on Japan's southern island of Okinawa.

Local media reported 30 January 2008 that Japan had made its third deployment of the Patriot Advanced Capability-3 (PAC-3) missile interceptor system at a Japan Air Self-Defense base in Yokosuka, about 50 km southwest of Tokyo. PAC-3 interceptors are capable of shooting down ballistic missiles

patriot-missile-japan.jpg - 33.44kb
By netchicken: posted on 31-1-2008

I believe you already explained why.

In a war of America vrs China over Taiwan, China wins

Surely, you didn't think that the U.S. was going to stand by and do nothing to prepare?
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 1-2-2008

Yeah I was wondering about that. I wonder how many units they have. One recommendation on the China senario was to harden the runways and create hardened shelters for the planes.

Good to see that it seems they are taking that study seriously.

Here is another view of it.

patriot-missile-japan-2.jpg - 42.57kb
By netchicken: posted on 1-2-2008

Kadena is a major Air Base in Japan for the USAF if I remember correctly, almost like Rammstein in Germany. I thin most of these were just assembled there to be moved to other locations later on.

Also Kadena has I think a squadron of F-22's or something, so its pretty major and important base. Considering how much those F-22's cost, losing them while they are still in the hangar would be an utter waste, thus they could be employing the PAC there.

IT could also be part of the Missle Sheild project, which would mean they have the THAAD someplace else.

From the Kaden webpage:
... Quote:

Team Kadena

Kadena Air Base is the hub of airpower in the Pacific, and home to the Air Force's largest combat wing--the 18th Wing--and a variety of associate units. Together they form "Team Kadena"--a world-class combat team ready to fight and win from the Keystone of the Pacific.

Nearly 18,000 Americans and more than 4,000 Japanese employees and contractors make up Team Kadena. The base's estimated economic impact upon Okinawa's economy is more than $700 million annually.
By IAF: posted on 1-2-2008

Enough supposition from two civilians and one veteran.
Sad thing is that the old veteran had to go and get the answer for the two brainiac civvies! :sp

"The Japan Times, 30 November 2007
Second PAC-3 missile defense system deployed
CHIBA (Kyodo) Japan's second ground-based Patriot Advanced Capability-3 interceptor
system to deal with North Korea was deployed Thursday, this one at the Air Self-Defense
Force Narashino base in Chiba Prefecture. The first PAC-3 system was deployed in
March at Iruma base in Saitama Prefecture. The Defense Ministry said the first two
deployments, made under the missile defense initiative, were in the vicinity of Tokyo "to
enforce missile defense in an area where the political and business nerve centers are
located." Two PAC-3 launchers were brought into the Narashino base early in the
morning."

I clean forgot about the missiles North Korea had been lobbing in Japan's direction. Then again, I'm happy when I remember where I put my car keys.
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 1-2-2008

^^ Both Saitama and Chiba are around Tokyo but the photograph states:
... Quote:

A file photo dated 25 October 2006 shows a patriot missile system being assembled by United States army technicians at Kadena air base on Japan's southern island of Okinawa.

So either it was flown to Okinawa on a c-17 Globemaster and was driven to their respective sites or the two have nothing in common.
By IAF: posted on 1-2-2008

Things sometimes change, and I hear things changed for the worst with the Clinton generals rose, but back in the good ole days of the Cold War when we didn't want to make it easy for the Ruskies to know everything, they would have been unpacked from the aircraft and then delivered by truck, chinook or C-130 the rest of the way and then assembled on site.

OPSEC and what-not.

Those were the good days when the uniforms looked much better. :tu
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 2-2-2008

Patriot missiles readied at Kadena air base on Japan\'s southern island of Okinawa | [Login ]