Freighter ablaze in the Adriatic sea

Home » Online videos » Freighter ablaze in the Adriatic sea
More Online Videos

Freighter ablaze in the Adriatic sea

Freighter loaded with diesel and trucks burning in the Adriatic sea on 2008/02/06

freighter-ablaze.jpg - 18.95kb
By netchicken: posted on 7-2-2008

That is an absolutely terrifying thought to me; to be on a ship that catches on fire and no help in sight. Sure, jumping into a frigid sea and dying of hypothermia is preferable to burning alive, but still!

My hat's off to sailors! :tu
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 7-2-2008

^^ they have radios you know and most ships stick to sea lanes so there's always help sooner or later .
By IAF: posted on 7-2-2008

I was thinking just the same. I was wondering if there was somewhere you could hide, like on the end of the bow or stern, or in a harness off the side, that would be safe until the fire burned down,

I doubt the hull would be breached unless the fire was hot enough to melt steel.

I gather this is happening right now, with the video from 2 days back.
By netchicken: posted on 7-2-2008

Hypothermia kills in minutes you know, right? There is no later and the sooner might not be there if you are forced in the water.
The fire doesn't have to breach the hull in order to cause the crew to leave the ship.
Remember, while I may be one who has a propensity for worrying about too many things, going into a cold drink limits your survivability to minutes. Water under 40 deg F. can kill a swimmer before he makes it 100 feet!

It might sound crazy, an avid SCUBA diver having concerns such as these, but that is the one thing that all navy sailors I've talked to took extremely seriously - ship fires.

My hat's still off to sailors!
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 8-2-2008

Freighter ablaze in the Adriatic sea | [Login ]