Severely Autistic girl learns to use the computer - inside is an articulate, intelligent, emotive person

Home » Science & Technology » Severely Autistic girl learns to use the computer - inside is an articulate, intelligent, emotive person

Severely Autistic girl learns to use the computer - inside is an articulate, intelligent, emotive person

To everyones surprise an articulate emotive person emerged.
A great uplifting article.

Carly Fleischman has severe autism and is unable to speak a word. But thanks to years of expensive and intensive therapy, this 13-year-old has made a remarkable breakthrough.

Two years ago, working with pictures and symbols on a computer keyboard, she started typing and spelling out words. The computer became her voice.
... Quote:
All of a sudden these words started to pour out of her, and it was an exciting moment because we didn't realize she had all these words. It was one of those moments in my career that I'll never forget.
said speech pathologist Barbara Nash.

Then Carly began opening up, describing what it was like to have autism and why she makes odd noises or why she hits herself. Carly writes about her frustrations with her siblings, how she understands their jokes and asks when can she go on a date.

... Quote:
We were stunned, We realized inside was an articulate, intelligent, emotive person that we had never met. This was unbelievable because it opened up a whole new way of looking at her. This is what Carly wants people to know about autism.
Carly's father Arthur Fleischmann said.
... Quote:
It is hard to be autistic because no one understands me. People look at me and assume I am dumb because I can't talk or I act differently than them. I think people get scared with things that look or seem different than them.

Much more on the website http://abcnews.go.com/Healt...

abc_new_fleishman_080219_ms.jpg - 46.67kb
By netchicken: posted on 20-2-2008

I hope she comes out with a blog on the internet, that would be really useful and informative on austism for not only the lay but even professionals would find it informative.
By IAF: posted on 20-2-2008

Here is a fascinating article written by Amanda Baggs, an autistic person on her own 'language', a conversation with her environment.

She asserts that her seemingly random actions are actually a language that she uses to interact with her environment. However, the concept of language, surely includes 'shared communication' as there are no other humans in her communications, is it really a langauge, or just self absorption?

I am inclined to think that she is at the pre langauge stage of communication by establishing an awareness of her envirionment.

Whatever, your viewpoint, its a fascinating article and an interesting video.

The YouTube clip opens with a woman facing away from the camera, rocking back and forth, flapping her hands awkwardly, and emitting an eerie hum. She then performs strange repetitive behaviors: slapping a piece of paper against a window, running a hand lengthwise over a computer keyboard, twisting the knob of a drawer.

She bats a necklace with her hand and nuzzles her face against the pages of a book. And you find yourself thinking: Who's shooting this footage of the handicapped lady, and why do I always get sucked into watching the latest viral video?

But then the words "A Translation" appear on a black screen, and for the next five minutes, 27-year-old Amanda Baggs — who is autistic and doesn't speak — describes in vivid and articulate terms what's going on inside her head as she carries out these seemingly bizarre actions.

In a synthesized voice generated by a software application, she explains that touching, tasting, and smelling allow her to have a "constant conversation" with her surroundings.

These forms of nonverbal stimuli constitute her "native language," Baggs explains, and are no better or worse than spoken language. Yet her failure to speak is seen as a deficit, she says, while other people's failure to learn her language is seen as natural and acceptable.

Much more on the link...

http://www.wired.com/medtec...

By netchicken: posted on 29-2-2008

They're going to kidnap her and stick her in a room with autistic people and she has to help them.:yak
By dnavarre: posted on 2-3-2008

Severely Autistic girl learns to use the computer - inside is an articulate, intelligent, emotive person | [Login ]