Big black flying triangles ... military blimps or US spy planes?

Home » Military Technology / Videos » Big black flying triangles ... military blimps or US spy planes?
More Military Articles

Big black flying triangles ... military blimps or US spy planes?

Researchers say that these types of vehicles are lighter-than-air, blimp-style craft of the U.S. military's making. Likely powered by "electrokinetic" drive, the lifting body-shaped airships have been skirting the skies since perhaps the early to mid-1980s.

NIDS has followed up on their study of last year that correlated sightings of large triangular or delta-shaped objects with Air Force Materiel Command and Air Mobility Command bases throughout the United States. Matches were made suggesting flight paths in and out of certain base locations.

The new assessment focuses on what four police officers and more than a dozen others observed on Jan. 5, 2000: A large, silent, low-flying black triangular-shaped object. It flew on a southwesterly direction between Highland, Ill., and Dupo, located less than 30 miles (48 kilometers) from St. Louis.

Part of the flight path took the enormous object near the perimeter of Scott Air Force Base. NIDS does not come up with definite conclusion regarding the origin of the object sighted in Illinois. However, the reports jibe with more than 150 separate reports of sightings of large triangular or deltoid-shaped objects. Those eyewitness accounts, accumulated by NIDS, have mainly come from the United States. A small number of the sightings they have on file come from Canada and Europe.

To bolster their case about military airships being taken for UFOs, analysts at NIDS make a historical note.

Lighter-than-air vehicles held all records for payload, distance, duration and altitude within the first four decades of the 20th century - even with the advent of the airplane. In fact, save for rocket-powered research aircraft like the X-15 and the space shuttle, all absolute altitude records are still held by high-altitude scientific balloons.

NIDS makes the case that Big Black Deltas, or BBDs, are U.S. Defense Department airships. They are so large they can carry massive payloads at low altitudes, cruising at speeds three to five times as fast as surface ships.

Among a range of NIDS observations, the group believes the BBDs are powered by electrokinetic/field drives, or airborne nuclear power units. These craft also fly at extreme altitudes, high above conventional aircraft and the pulsing of ground-based traffic control radar. A hybrid lighter-than-air craft would rely on aerostatic lift gas, like a balloon. No helicopterlike downwash would be produced. Except for a slight humming from high- voltage control equipment - and in older BBD versions an occasional coronal discharge - a Big Black Delta makes no noise.

Given a slew of BBD capabilities - from silent running, diminished drag and elimination of sonic shock waves to operation from ground level to full vacuum - NIDS calls for pushing this black-world technology out into daylight for commercial benefit.

"What we're trying to do is transform unidentified flying objects, UFOs, into IFOs, or identified flying objects," said Colm Kelleher, deputy administrator for NIDS.

"We want to limit the number of cases that are unidentified in our database. The more that are identified, obviously the less we have to work on. That's our prime motivation - to eliminate the wheat from the chaff," Kelleher told

NIDS has amassed some 1,000 cases that are under review. Of those, about 200 are Big Black Delta sightings. In the last year or two, BBD reports have been on the rise.

Kelleher said that military may well be ready to take the wraps off the black triangle vehicles. The Illinois case, for instance, has been built on hours of public views of the mystery airship. "That's not exactly stealth mode. It's inevitable that it will be declassified," he said.

"There appears to be an increase in deployment of these vehicles," Kelleher said. "The only time you see these things are when they are leaving or coming in. A lot of these sightings are at night. Our information is that they spend a long time aloft, weeks at a time. They can be thought of as oceangoing ships, rather than aircraft," he said.

Over the years, the BBDs appear to fall into different size categories. "The ones that dominate our database are very, very large. They are low-flying, silent and are reported to be about the size of a football field," Kelleher said.

The BBDs have been seen accelerating very rapidly from a hovering position. "They can look as though they are leaping across the sky. Being silent, it's almost spooky," Kelleher said.

L. Scott Miller, professor of Aerospace Engineering at Wichita State University in Kansas, said the idea of a large, still-classified airship floating about is on the mark.
I do think that a large airship, with a heavy lift and other mission objectives, has been built," Miller told

Miller is also a distinguished lecturer of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, and specializes in black aircraft and the world of secret flight.

The NIDS research documentation parallels, about 50 percent of the time, a theory that Miller has detailed in his AIAA talks for two years.

"Lockheed has shown a great deal of interest in airships for many years. The real question is whether the Department of Defense has committed to buy and use such machines," Miller said.

Large airships are of benefit to the military.

They are capable of carrying extremely large and heavy payloads at a reasonable speed, for which there is a real mission need, Miller said.

The U.S. airlift fleet is getting old, taking a great beating in the last 10 years in such locales as Iraq, Bosnia, Kosovo and Afghanistan. Some new aircraft are making it into the inventory, but they still have limits. For instance, to move loads of tanks and other gear requires lots of flights and support.

"An airship that could carry a large number of tanks, troops and supplies into a region overnight would be fantastic," Miller said.

Miller does take issue with the NIDS study's view of a black triangle's propulsion. "Interesting, but I'm not sure it is necessary," he said.

"I suspect that neutrally buoyant, aerodynamically lifting airships using conventional prop-rotor systems would be useful in implementing a practical airship design," Miller said. Such a vehicle could be a cross between the V-22 Osprey - a craft having short wings and thrust vectoring rotors - and a blended-wing aircraft, he said.

Miller said that by careful shaping the systems used, and carefully orchestrating operational procedures, the vulnerability of an airship in a combat environment could be reduced.

"Low-altitude flights, at night, and an awareness of enemy capabilities would be critical. Indeed, slow flight at the right time can render enemy radar useless. A 'stealth blimp' would be feasible in this respect," Miller said.

Still, the true nature and use of the black triangle craft remain a head-scratcher.

"I suspect that the people in Illinois saw an airship of some type. Is it operational? I don't know. Would it be 'sexy enough' for the Defense Department inventory, compared to other high-tech aircraft like the B-2? I don't know," Miller said.

"Each sighting requires a great deal of analysis. A witness's perceptions of speed, acceleration and size are likely of very little value," Miller said. "I have taken an approach of first identifying needs - or mission requirements - and technology availability. Then I compare those with the cold, raw, simple facts of a sighting, not the conjecture or guesswork of a witness," he said.

"I suspect that, as a result, perhaps up to 30 percent of the recent 'Triangle UFO' sightings are of black-world aircraft, jets or airships," Miller concluded.
By netchicken: posted on 18-11-2002

I saw one of those

I saw one of those when camping in Florida in 1992 or so. This is the first time I have seen any explanation as to what it was. It was in central Florida and not too far from an air force test base. It was large, but i couldnt say exactly how large. It appeared to be moving slowly and at low altitude. The thing flew right over the trees above my head! There were no lights on it and what struck me the most was the fact that it was absoloutely silent. I have often wondered if it was a b2 and that they may be capable of a silent glide mode of operation. But this explanation seems palusable too. Seen any pics?
By sofserv: posted on 14-1-2004

Wow, sofserv, I havn't sen a pic yet, but I imagine that they are around. I tried to access the article I posted but its totally gone, even from the archives .... who knows... :)
By netchicken: posted on 16-1-2004

The development of giant blimps can be seen in this article which may explain what these giant objects are used for. - much more on the sites below.

Later this month, the Air Force is due to test out in Texas a V-shaped, 175 foot-long, helium filled airship. The goal, according to Aviation Week: to put together a "near-space maneuvering vehicle," operating more than 100,000 feet up, that can relay messages and spy on enemies.

However, there's more to the Air Force plan than keeping satellites safe. The Evolutionary Air and Space Global Laser Engagement, or EAGLE, project aims to put mirrors underneath an airship 25 times the size of the Goodyear blimp. In theory, lasers -- fired from the ground, from space, or from the air -- would bounce off these blimp-borne mirrors, to track or even destroy enemy missiles.

Incredible as it sounds, the EAGLE effort is underway at the Air Force Research Laboratory's Directed Energy division, sources there confirm. Also under research at the lab is the Ground-Based Laser, which, according to the Air Force report, would shoot "laser beams through the atmosphere" to knock out enemy spacecraft in low-earth orbit.
By netchicken: posted on 22-2-2004

More on the flying triangles. Now its so promenant in the mainstream media, I wonder how long until they are released and spoken about.

They have become legendary in UFO circles. Huge, silent-running Flying Triangles; have been seen by ground observers creeping through the sky low and slow near cities, and quietly cruising over highways.

The National Institute for Discovery Science, or NIDS, has cataloged the Triangle sightings, sifting through and combining databases to take a hard look at the mystery craft. Based in Las Vegas, NIDS is a privately funded science institute with a strong research focusing on aerial phenomena. The results of their study have just been released, and lead to some unnerving, puzzling conclusions.

The study points out: The United States is currently experiencing a wave of Flying Triangle sightings that may have intensified in the 1990s, especially towards the latter part of the 1990s. The wave continues. The Flying Triangles are being openly deployed over and near population centers, including in the vicinity of major interstate highways

Covert operations?
A key NIDS conclusion is that the actions of these triangular craft do not conform to previous patterns of covert deployment of unacknowledged aircraft. Furthermore, neither the agenda nor the origin of the Flying Triangles are currently known.

The years 1990-2004 have seen an intense wave of Flying Triangle aircraft, the study observes. Sifting through reports by hundreds of eyewitnesses, the NIDS assessment states that the behavior of the vehicles does not appear consistent with the covert deployment of an advanced DoD [U.S. Departmentof the Defense] aircraft.

Rather, it is consistent with
(a) the routine and open deployment of an unacknowledged advanced Defense Department aircraft or
(b) the routine and open deployment of an aircraft owned and operated by personnel outside the Defense Department, suggests the NIDS study.
... Quote:
The implications of the latter possibility are disturbing, especially during the post-9/11 era when the United States airspace is extremely heavily guarded and monitored, the NIDS study explains.

In support of option (a), there is much greater need for surveillance in the United States in the post-9/11 era, and it is certainly conceivable that deployment of low-altitude surveillance platforms is routine and open.

According to Colm Kelleher, NIDS; administrator, the newly completed quasi-;meta-analysis of Flying Triangles melds three major databases, from NIDS, the Mutual UFO Network and independent researcher Larry Hatch, the creator and owner of one of the world's largest and most comprehensive UFO databases.

Kelleher said the analysis indicates that deployment of Flying Triangles is open, not covert, and involves low-flying, brightly lit aircraft routinely deployed over populated areas including cities and interstate highways.

... Quote:
However, I cannot say whether these are U.S. Air Force aircraft. We simply don't know, Kelleher told But it does not appear to be consistent with the covert patterns of deployment we saw with the F-117 and B-2 prior to their acknowledgement. This is open, even brazen.

For example, a perfunctory look at the how past military stealth aircraft programs were kept from the public eye although they eventually came to light is different from the patterns for the Flying Triangles.

Prior to acknowledgement of the F-117 and B-2 aircraft, only rare nighttime sightings occurred in the sparsely populated sections of Nevada, California and a few other states. Flying at low altitude over populated areas was rarely reported for the F-117 or B-2.

... Quote:
In contrast, the Flying Triangle deployment, especially during the 1990s, appears more consistent with the open and public operation of these aircraft, the study explains. The trend of open deployment of the Flying Triangles is not consistent with secret operation of an advanced military aircraft.

No attempt to hide
The database-driven study of the Flying Triangle shows the following patterns:
Sightings take place near cities and on Interstate highways.
They are seen at low altitude in plain sight of eyewitnesses.
They fly at extremely low speed or hover in plain sight of eyewitnesses.
The vehicles sometime fly with easily noticeable bright lights either blinding white lights, or bright disco lights that usually flash combinations of red, green or blue.

The NIDS study emphasizes that the flying of these vehicles may be more in harmony with an attempt to display or to be noticed. There appears to be little or no attempt to hide. That finding has led to a modification of an earlier NIDS hypothesis that the Triangles are covertly deployed Defense Department aircraft.

While it is too early to dismiss the previously published NIDS correlation between Triangle sightings and a subset of U.S. Air Force bases, the apparent association with centers of population may point away from a covert program.Rather, it is consistent with routine and open deployment of an advanced aircraft, the NIDS study concludes.

Clustered on both coasts
During the ensuing years (2000-2004), NIDS received hundreds of reports from people in the United States and Canada reporting large triangular aircraft, often silent and often flying at very low altitude and at low air speed. In many cases, the objects were brightly lit. NIDS files also include reports of Flying Triangles from remote areas.

In mid-2004, NIDS reviewed its database that contains the locations of the Triangle sightings in the United States. The sightings of Triangles appear primarily adjacent to population centers and along interstate highways, with sightings clustered on both coasts.

NIDS has amassed almost 400 separate sightings of triangular/boomerang/wedge-shaped objects. Many of these craft are brightly lit, low-flying, and traveling at unexpectedly low air speeds.

In earlier reports, NIDS outlined a tentative correlation between reported sightings of Triangles and the locations of Air Mobility Command and Air Force Materiel Command bases in the United States.

Like a Star Trek uncloaking
According to ground observers, the features of a Black Triangle are indeed impressive.

For example, the NIDS study includes the observation of a person in Port Washington, Wis., who encountered a large object that flew over her home at an estimated altitude of 500 feet (150 meters) in October 1998. Her eyeing of the clear starry night was interrupted as the craft came into her field of view.

... Quote:
Suddenly this monstrosity came out of theblue, just like a Star Trek 'uncloaking', no kidding ... so quiet I couldn;t believe it and so huge ... no more than 500 feet or so up, and big enough to take up my field of sky vision, she reported.

Crude mathematics, the witness recounted, would make the vessel about 200 feet wide and 250 feet long (60 by 75 meters).

In wrapping up its look at the burgeoning number of Flying Triangle sightings in the United States, NIDS also took into account the work of writers and researchers delving into the topic both in the United States and abroad.

Those analyses fall into two camps: One says the Triangles are human-made, while the other says they are not.

... Quote:
In 2004 it is extremely difficult to distinguish between these two possibilities, since the former option overlaps heavily with legitimate national security concerns, while in the absence of much more physical evidence, the latter option is not testable, the NIDS assessment concludes.
By netchicken: posted on 25-1-2005

More here, with a siting and story...
(BTW a great site worth reading)
Originally posted by WorldChild

My co-workers 13-year old son was in his back yard in Westwego, LA, taking a picture of the sunset on 04 Mar 05. When he downloaded his pictures to his computer he noticed a spot in the top center of the photo (first photo). When you enlarge the area you see a triangle with lights on each tip (second photo). If you look even closer, you can see a black dot to the right and above the triangle (close-up of this in third photo). Westwego is directly across the Mississippi River form New Orleans.

Maybe Arts visitors got tired of the great southwest and decided to visit the City That Care Forgot. With a parade almost every week and all of the unique and colorful people in the French Quarter, an alien, no mater what he looks like could mingle with the crowds unnoticed and fit right in.

--Don C.

By netchicken: posted on 30-4-2005

Another siting...

This is plainly obvious as a military blimp......
English words identified on black triangular craft.
On 04-09-2005 I saw what I believe to be a UFO in Comanche County Texas at 9:12 local time. I offer some unique observations.

That evening, I was walking back to my motor home after wildboar hunting in an unpopulated area that I lease for hunting. The sky was clear; wind calm and the sun had just set. The sky was growing darker and darker blue straight above and stars were beginning to show. The sky was becoming black in the east. The setting sun was still keeping the western horizon illuminated and indirect lighting from the west made it possible to see my way without a flashlight.

I had my .243 Win. Remington 700 varmint rifle of which I am a quite an accomplished shooter. It is considered a "high-powered" rifle. I do quite a bit of bench rest competitive shooting with it as well as hunting. The rifle is set up with a high-tech "Leupold" optical sight, (scope) which is extremely accurate and highly specialized for great light gathering ability and performs best in low light conditions. It is not what is called a "night vision" sight. The scope magnifies the target image with great sharpness and definition and the magnification is adjustable from 4.5 to 14 times that of the natural image.

Upon my return to the motor home, I was tired after a long walk. I had carried quite a bit of equipment with me. I sat on a chair, took my eyeglasses off and toweled my face as it is already becoming hot in Texas. While I rested, without my glasses on, I noticed three very "unfocused" lights to my south and these lights were moving toward me. Immediately I put my glasses back on and saw what I believe was a UFO. (SEE ATTACHED ANIMATIONS) (a) Is the appearance of the vehicle without my glasses on and (b) is the view I had with my glasses on.) (I drew the images on my pc) The object approached from the south-southwest and while moving north-north east, passed almost directly overhead making no sound whatsoever.

I estimate its altitude to be somewhere about 800 feet and its airspeed speed approximately 30 mph. It "floated" and did not fly as it obviously had insufficient airspeed to fly. (I am a Physicist & an FAA Licensed Pilot) While the sky was almost entirely black behind it, I could clearly see its underside as it was illuminated from the fading sunlight to the west. I estimate that the machine was about 60 feet wide and 80 feet long and 10 feet thick at the rear. Under its belly, there was a straight line going from its leading tip toward the center of the aft edge of the fuselage, which was perpendicular to its travel. This straight edge clearly showed its shape to be three-dimensional. The straight line showed that its belly was V-shaped, much like the hull of a speedboat. It was similar to the space shuttle as when viewed from in front and below the shuttle.

This machine was directly over me and I was alone in the middle of nowhere, therefore, I felt quite "uneasy." It made no threatening moves whatsoever, but I aimed my rifle at it and through the riflescope, which was set on 8.5 power, I could clearly see surface detail in explicit detail. The machines surface detail appeared to be covered with well-fitted tiles, much like the ceramic tiles used on the United States Space Shuttle. Then in the fading light, I noticed a distinct marking.

This marking was absolutely shocking, as I could actually read it! It was white print outlined in black on a red arrow pointing toward a rectangle of sorts. The arrow pointed at a something rectangular that I cannot define, but I clearly could read these three words, EMERGENCY RELEASE and RESCUE. In the same place were other words that appeared too fuzzy to read. I suspect that these words were PULL FOR... Instantly I realized that this was a military machine and no flying saucer.

I felt much better as I knew that these were surface details that were intended to help rescue people access and then be able to remove the pilots on board in the event of a crash.

I kept the crosshairs on the center of the aircraft as it disappeared into the darkness but as I realized it was “one of ours and it was not a threat to my own personal safety (I think) I put the rifle safety back on. I can see however that others may have defensively shot at it --- and that may have resulted in a crash of the vehicle.

I am somewhat pissed off at the military as while this area is directly under the Ft. Hood, Texas MOPA and practice flights are flown daily, really - they should not be taking chances like this where someone on the ground could actually be shooting the damned things down! I am sure that the military pilots (if it even had a crew) were aware of my presence but they NEVER expected possible offensive action to be taken against them on this low level flight. The last thing I would have ever have wanted would have taken a defensive shot and then find American military pilots onboard in the wreckage.
By netchicken: posted on 15-8-2005

Yet again another siting.
This one may have various explanations, but still interesting.

Posted: September 12, 2005-Date: September 10, 2005 Time: Approx: 10:00 p.m-Approach_Direction: from the Northwest Departure_Direction: to the Southeast Witness_Direction: East

There are many aircraft in the sky around my area as its part of the landing patterns airspace for the major airports close by (Stanstead to the North somewhere and Gatwick and London airport to the south), and we are well used to seeing them with their landing lights on but the thing is you can always hear them.

There were no jet sounds or propeller or rotor blade sounds that would suggest a smaller aircraft either. There were no visible trails or an appearance of something burning etc, they were traveling far too fast for anything floating low without power like a glider, balloon or perhaps model aircraft or similar.

The fact it was below the clouds ruled out meteorite/micro meteorite and besides they don't fly in formation do they?

The one thing which might have some bearing is that we have seen a lot of rain today and several flashes of lightning followed by thunder but it was always well and truly in the distance. (Lightning-the flash type, not the bolt to the ground type- was followed several moments later by thunder indicating distance of course) from what I've seen before when they try to explain lights there is the possibility of a strange phenomenon called ball lightning?, (I have to say if anything looked ball-like it was definitely these lights!)

I am totally unable to explain these lights in terms of something simply explained and I have been an avid follower of airshows, aircraft books, documentaries etc so I'm well used to the behavior of aircraft, even those maneuvering in unusual ways and when I was younger I did a lot of astronomy and I would say I have had a lot of experience studying stars, planets, moons etc. and so I'm far less likely to make a mis-identification of anything celestial.It really is bizarre.

P.S. I reported the sighting to my local police about 11:00 pm and I was told by the lady on the desk that the police had already been called out to see these lights and they had confirmed they saw them !!

It would seem a whole load of different people saw these lights too!. They could offer no explanation either and said they had checked with local airports too.
By netchicken: posted on 13-9-2005

Looks like they are slowly being released to the media...

During a rare visit by an outsider to the Skunk Works complex, a factory hall was filled with the prototype of a massive helium-filled airship that one day might ferry troops and heavy equipment to distant battlefields faster and more efficiently than ships -- no port or airbase needed.

The blimp would float just above the ground on four hover pads, meaning that "you could literally pick a farmer's field" to set down in, says program manager Robert Boyd. The airship had its maiden flight last week.
By netchicken: posted on 9-2-2006

More Triangle sitings!

Michigan Triangle and Morning UFO

Photo courtesy Graham Bethune Commander US Navy

LANSING --I woke up to my dog whining to go outside at about 6:12 AM, on March 9, 2006. I let him out of my front door and I looked up and did a double take. I saw a disk-like shaped object flying in the sky. It had many light on the underside,about ten. Two of them were red and the other lights were white. The object was very metallic looking. I know it wasn't an airplane because it was too low to the ground and too large. Also none of the lights were blinking. I saw it flying to the south. I froze and stared at it as it disappeared into the clouds. I am convinced that it was a UFO. Thanks to Peter Davenport Director

Madison Heights -- On March 3, 2006, the witness reports seeing a fast moving Flying Triangle for at least ten seconds as it flew over very fast at only 500 feet high. It was flying from east to west very fast with a light glow probably from the reflection of the city lights. It flew silent and seemed to glow after passing. There were five lights on its leading edge that were very dim. It flew out of sight quickly with no sound at all. I saw something similar in 1995.
By netchicken: posted on 29-3-2006

Now if this is real its certinaly looking like a military object...
Tennessee Triangle Helicopter /Escort

Quebeck -- On March 11, 2006, my nephew, a friend and I heard the sound of approaching helicopters and could see their navigation lights approaching. Three helicopters in a triangle formation passed overhead on a southwesterly heading.

At first as they began to pass over I noticed that the trailing helicopter was quite some distance behind the front two. Then, as they passed overhead I could see that the void between the leading helicopters was not empty at all, there was a black triangle shaped craft without any lights, flying between the leading and trailing helicopters.

We were only able to see the craft because it was darker than the slight overcast we had that night. I am absolutely convinced that the helicopters were "escorting" this craft for some unknown reason. Thanks to Peter Davenport Director
By netchicken: posted on 29-3-2006

Movie of a V shaped airship. Looks like the ones in the article above
By netchicken: posted on 12-9-2006

Friday 11am - RECENT sightings of triangular shaped UFOs in the Louth area have lead to claims they are piloted by Americans.
Eric Goring contacted us to say he was seeing the craft fly near his home in Brinkhill.

Now Julian Schmidt has emailed us to say he believes they are not of alien origin - but man made.

He said:
... Quote:
I have been studying these Black Triangle phenomena since 1987, when my three sons and I witnessed one flying low and slow across our house one night.

I distinctly heard a low pitched humming sound being made by the craft.

The sound reminded me of a 600 amp 60 hertz transformer under maximum load.

I am an Electronic Technician and have experience with state of the art technology.

It is my belief that these craft use some sort of fusion reactor that must be shielded with a very powerful electromagnetic field. Similar to the Tokamak Fusion technology.

I do not believe that these craft are piloted by alien beings. This technology may also be able to cancel the effects of gravity and drag. Hence the incredible rates of acceleration.

A friend of mine has a brother working for the NSA. All he will tell me is that they have technology 20 years in advance of what we civilians have access to.

I believe the United States operates these 'Black Triangles'. It is not so hard to imagine when you consider the annual military budget is nearly 600 billion dollars!

Here is some background to Tokamak Fusion technology.
By netchicken: posted on 16-11-2008

Plans for Military blimps are finally being released to the public. I suspect its the technology in the blimp, rather than the blimp itself, that is the new information.

Reporting from Washington -- The Pentagon said Thursday that it intends to spend $400 million to develop a giant dirigible that will float 65,000 feet above the Earth for 10 years, providing unblinking and intricate radar surveillance of the vehicles, planes and even people below.

"It is absolutely revolutionary," Werner J.A. Dahm, chief scientist for the Air Force, said of the proposed unmanned airship -- describing it as a cross between a satellite and a spy plane.

The 450-foot-long craft would give the U.S. military a better understanding of an adversary's movements, habits and tactics, officials said. And the ability to constantly monitor small movements in a wide area -- the Afghanistan- Pakistan border, for example -- would dramatically improve military intelligence.

"It is constant surveillance, uninterrupted," Dahm said. "When you only have a short-time view -- whether it is a few hours or a few days -- that is not enough to put the picture together."

The project reflects a shift in Pentagon planning and spending priorities under Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates, who has urged the military services to improve intelligence and surveillance operations while cutting high-tech weaponry costs.

Much more on the link
By netchicken: posted on 15-3-2009

Yet another source indicating that big black triangles are really just US spy craft.

INTELLIGENCE officers scoured hundreds of UFO sighting reports in the 1980s and 90s looking for top-secret US stealth-plane projects, newly released files have shown.

At the end of the Cold War, the British Ministry of Defence was worried the US was developing mysterious planes but not telling its closest ally. Staff at department DI55 of the Defence Intelligence Staff logged and investigated hundreds of sightings by pilots, air-traffic controllers and private individuals who believed they had seen an alien presence.
... Quote:
The MOD did not believe Britain was being visited by aliens, but these files show they were obsessed with the fear that our closest ally was developing spy planes and keeping them secret from us,
said David Clarke, a lecturer at Sheffield Hallam University, and UFO specialist at the National Archives, which has just released hundreds of official UFO files on its website.

In one incident logged in 1989, an oil-rig worker trained in aircraft observation saw a "perfect black triangle" escorted by two US fighters. An official noted: "Attention is now focusing on this, despite a recent US Air Force 'denial briefing'. This is bound to prompt parliamentary interest."

In 1990, the crews of six RAF Tornado jets flying over Germany reported seeing a UFO. RAF staff noted the pilots had reported the "aerial phenomenon" overtaking them, and said: "Possibly (identified) as a stealth aircraft."

The same year the MOD believed two men had sighted a spy-plane called Aurora, thought to be in development by the Americans. They reported a diamond-shaped UFO above the A9 in Perthshire, Scotland.
By netchicken: posted on 23-3-2009

This seems to be the best video of these mysterious triangles.

A Wesley Chapel, Florida, triangle UFO sighting has been termed a "true unknown" by Mutual UFO Network (MUFON) Field Investigator Morgan Beall.

The July 17, 2009, sighting has multiple witnesses and the event was videotaped. The object had three points of light. Two of the lights were white, and a third light was blue.

The object hovered in the sky, but tilted back and forth, throughout the multi-hour sighting.

The object returned to that same location again on July 25, 2009, and was also videotaped by the witnesses.

Video from both the July 17 and July 25 cases are in Beall's video at the top of this page. Note: although the original case is dated July 17, the witness states on the tape that it is July 16.

In his investigation, Beall reviewed video taken from other U.S. locations as well as from several different countries that match the video shot in Florida.

By netchicken: posted on 11-8-2009

A year or so ago I was out side in my backyard at night. About 10pm pst. I saw out of the corner of my eye at level flight about 1kft to 2k ft. I saw two flat amber circles huge they looked like they where under a invisible craft. They did not look like search lights from a helicopter or a helicopter. I cought this object at the corner of my eye I was facing west and I looked south. It wasn't a comet because it was flying horizontal. Not falling. Anyhways when it moved it Ig zagged not tilt like a normal aircraft. It had no faa light no object in the middle. It flew a couple miles and turn off its lights. In a city. It was heading towards a marine base thagt I live 20 miles from. Eric please email me
By musclerocker: posted on 8-8-2010

I did file a ufo report on this but I'm baffled on what it could be. I know that there where no witnes. No sound to the object. I never saw a thing zig zagg in the sky like that. Sorry for some typeos I'm on my blackberry lol.
By musclerocker: posted on 8-8-2010

Big black flying triangles ... military blimps or US spy planes? | [Login ]