Welcome to the Blue Brain - worlds first artifical brain

Home » Science & Technology » Welcome to the Blue Brain - worlds first artifical brain

Welcome to the Blue Brain - worlds first artifical brain

These scientists are building a model of the human brain, in 10 years they expect it will be complete, with everything the human brain can do.

In the basement of a university in Lausanne, Switzerland sit four black boxes, each about the size of a refrigerator, and filled with 2,000 IBM microchips stacked in repeating rows.

Together they form the processing core of a machine that can handle 22.8 trillion operations per second. It contains no moving parts and is eerily silent. When the computer is turned on, the only thing you can hear is the continuous sigh of the massive air conditioner. This is Blue Brain.

Blue Brain scientists are confident that, at some point in the next few years, they will be able to start simulating an entire brain. "If we build this brain right, it will do everything," Markram says. I ask him if that includes selfconsciousness: Is it really possible to put a ghost into a machine? "When I say everything, I mean everything," he says, and a mischievous smile spreads across his face.

Much more on the site...

http://www.seedmagazine.com...
By netchicken: posted on 6-3-2008

And, he thinks he can put a ghost in a machine. Aaallllrighty then.

If not, it will be a thinking entity, capable of manipulating and doing things regardless of whether they are moral.

He wants to create a politician?

It takes all kinds.
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 6-3-2008

Welcome to the Blue Brain - worlds first artifical brain | [Login ]