Kiwifruit - the most nutritious fruit in the world

Home » Science & Technology » Kiwifruit - the most nutritious fruit in the world

Kiwifruit - the most nutritious fruit in the world

Turns out the humble kiwifruit is the most nutritious fruit in the world! Kiwi tops the list when it comes to SuperFoods. From a study of 27 different fruits, kiwi was named one of the most nutritionally dense, says Stephanie Dean, R.D., dietitian with Baylor University Medical Center at Dallas.

It's full of antioxidants, vitamin E, and lutein and can ward off vision problems, prevent blood clots, and lower cholesterol almost effectively as the SuperFood barley. Dr. Steven Pratt calls kiwi one of the newest SuperFoods in his trendsetting book SuperFoods Healthstyle, but that doesn't 'mean kiwi is new to the nutrition scene.

A two-piece serving of the fruit has twice the vitamin C of an orange and as much potassium as a banana. It has as much fiber as one serving of bran flakes, all for about 100 calories, and it serves as a good source of magnesium. Kiwi is also a low-fat, sodium-free fruit.

It gets better.

New studies indicate that kiwi plays an important role in cancer prevention, can benefit the heart, and is a good supplement for diabetic diets. In all, kiwifruit consumption can lead to a longer, healthier life.

Here is a video on how to eat a kiwifruit, basically it shows that you cut it in half and then scoop out the middle. But only weaklings do that. How do you REALLY eat a kiwi fruit?
Just bite into it as you would an apple, eat everything but the ends.

BTW if your kiwifruit has a small pointy spike inside it, it means it was picked green and artificially ripened. from experience naturally ripened kiwifruits don't have that stick inside it.

From http://www.thatsfit.com/200...

kiwifruit.gif - 22.44kb
By netchicken: posted on 23-3-2008

OK, I have an admission to make....

I've seen those things in the store, never knew what to do with them, never knew who to ask, so I've never eaten one.

I'll get some, now that I know I can eat it like an apple!
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 24-3-2008

Maybe you have to grow into the 'eating it like an apple' experience, the fur is a little odd the first time, reminds me of biting a hamster. :)

Otherwise if you scoop out the interior then sprinkle it with sugar :)

Believe it or not if you slice up a kiwifruit and place the slices on a steak for a few hours it marinates the steaks and makes them nicer to eat.

http://www.kiwicovelodge.co...
... Quote:
BASIC KIWI MARINADE
A natural enzyme in kiwi fruit helps tenderize tougher cuts of meat like round or blade steak. Add marinade to cubed meat at least two hours and not more than six hours.
1 cup chopped kiwi 2 tbsp each, soy sauce and tomato sauce
2 cloves minced garlic 4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
By netchicken: posted on 24-3-2008

See, I don't like hassles.
I like eating food that is hassle free.
Apples, bananas, chicken strips in a bag,

that kind of stuff.

If a kiwi can be eaten like an apple, and the outer part isn't bad for me, I'll try it that way.

How do I know if it is ripe, or too ripe?
By Thomas_Crowne: posted on 24-3-2008

They are softish when ripe, you can squeeze them a little, I have rarely seen them overripe, (except on our own vine of course).

Commercial ones are so controlled in the ripening process that if anything they hit the shops a little too green.

... Quote:
It is best to buy firm kiwifruit and allow them ripen at home. A kiwifruit is ripe when plump and slightly soft to the touch with a fragrant smell. Choose kiwifruit with no bruises or soft spots and avoid fruit with wrinkles or signs of exterior damage.

Store unripe fruit at room temperature until the skin indents slightly when touched. It normally takes 3 to 5 days to ripen kiwis at room temperature although to can hasten ripening by placing the fruit in a paper bag with an apple or banana. Ripe kiwis can be kept in the refrigerator for up to three weeks. Place them in a plastic bag to help reduce moisture loss.
 http://www.recipes4us.co.uk...

Here is someone's experience...
... Quote:
Last year, I made my first attempt at kiwifruit shopping, and it was a lesson well learnt. I bought 10 cute little fruits - all fuzzy and nice. Well, I wasn’t exactly sure how to choose the right ones. I’m not even sure how a ripe fruit looks like.

Anyway, I had one the next day and it nearly knocked my socks off! It was extremely sour. Following that, I received many “advises” on how to ripen my kiwifruit.

This is what they say. The best way to quickly ripen the fruit is by throwing them into a paper bag with a banana, or apple, or pear. Avoid contact with other fruits once they ripen, as they do tend to overripe in the presence of other fruits.

Most grocers sell kiwifruits that are not ready to be eaten because they harvest at a mature yet hard stage. When selecting kiwifruits, choose the ones that are plump with a sweet aroma yet yields to slight pressure when touched.

Otherwise, leave the fruit at room temperature or keep it refrigerated for several weeks. It will then gradually ripen.

A kiwifruit should last anywhere between one to two weeks once ripen.

http://www.marimari.com/con...
By netchicken: posted on 24-3-2008

Kiwifruit - the most nutritious fruit in the world | [Login ]